Merlot Review

From 1 review

valli100's review of Merlot

“As we are in summer now, Merlot is perfect for BBQ...”

Written on: 23/07/2007 by valli100 (2 reviews written)

Lovely for all occassions.

Not enough information on the bottle its deceiving the taste.

General Comments
As we are in summer now, Merlot is perfect for BBQ evenings. Excellent wine for all menu including fish,poultry,and red meat ,absolutely 100% fantastic wine, evening with friends or family.
I must say at first when I saw the bottle at the supermarket ,I was a little skeptical to try it. I am glad I purchased it now I cannot think to be without it when I am entertaining.

Price per Bottle

Country of Origin

Region

Grape/Style

Degbert's Response to valli100's Review

Written on: 17/07/2009

I found this review somewhat helpful because... while I am sure Merlot is all of those things, giving a verdict on a grape that is so widely-used in wines from so many regions and so many countries (with so many varying characteristics), the verdict can be viewed as a little unspecific at best, and dangerously vague at worst. I've spat out Merlots before because they were too young, too coarse, too mass-produced (a couple of nasty Italian reds and some awful new-world examples). Yet there are many, many great examples (from those countries and elsewhere). You simply have to try... pick a region you think you like, and pick and choose a few producers and try your luck from there. To assume a grape or country or any one thing is the answer, is a mistake. Merlot is a perfectly good grape, but it will need a good producer in a good region with good weather to make the best of it.