Comet Review

• Quality of service

• Layout of shop

martin54's review of Comet

“We bought a washing machine from Comet as we needed a...”

Written on: 13/07/2007 by martin54 (4 reviews written)

Nothing stands out as being particularly good

Terrible customer service

General Comments
We bought a washing machine from Comet as we needed a new one in a hurry and they had the best price and availability without shopping on line. We were never happy with the machine as the fabric conditioner never seemed to have any effect regardless of how much we put in - I don't intend to detail the problems with the machine here, that is not strictly Comet's fault and will be detailed in another review!

What I can say about Comet is their after sales support is truly awful. Trying to contact their service department by phone involves an 0870 number (they will never give a direct line number), probably 15 minutes on hold (being reminded that your call is important) to get put through to the Watford Centre when you really need to speak to Loughborough

We had the Zanussi engineer out and he found no real fault so we consulted with Comet who said they had to send their engineer out before we could get a refund - fair enough, so he came but found no fault - of course he didn't stay to see the full cycle and the end result which was washing feeling like sandpaper. "So can we have a refund now Comet?" "Oh no, our engineer must come again and confirm the fault". After a strongly worded fax stating that if their engineer must come again he must stay to see the full washing cycle and wait for the clothes to dry, plus threatening to use the small claims court, Comet service finally provided the vital "SED number" that enabled the store to give a refund.

My recommendation - buy somewhere else, there are much better deals on line if you can wait.

• Zannusi washing m/c £250

• Layout of shop

Degbert's Response to martin54's Review

Written on: 18/07/2007

I had the misfortune to attempt to purchase both a TV and a Camera from Comet. And I'm sorry but I don't get it...
<br/>
<br/>It is because the most famous comet only turns up once every 76 odd years? Is that the level of service they are trying to emulate?
<br/>
<br/>Whatever it is, right up to the store manager (clearly the one on the hook for the operating margins) they were disinterested, un-knowledgeable, unhelpful, rude, and frankly for a retail outfit geared towards customer service, they were a country mile behind their high-street rivals.
<br/>
<br/>I say 'attempt to' purchase rather than purchase because I had the presence of mind (or rather my wife did) to say thank you and opt to return at a later date. Whereupon we found the same items cheaper elsewhere.
<br/>
<br/>One final point - the 16 year old who first served us but quickly got bullied out of the way by the guy on commission who wanted to 'have the deal', he actually knew his stuff and was really helpful. I'd wager if they put him in charge of the whole store it would run 100 times better. Can't remember his name but I imagine he's found a job somewhere else.