Ameda Lactaline Breast Pump Review

Ruthann's review of Ameda Lactaline Breast Pump

“I used this pump daily from the day after my son was...”

Written on: 10/05/2007 by Ruthann (1 review written)

Ameda is a double pump, which is a great idea and effective if the milk flows easily from each breast. My breasts became quite large, which meant I had to support the breast while expressing, so the double expresser was of no use to me in practice. Something to think about before you buy one if this applies to you, if you find your milk flow is slow to start or if you have to support the breast at any time. If so it would be cheaper/wiser to go for a single pump. Does have good controls to vary speed and power.

Pump takes loads of batteries - about 6, so not very convenient for travel. Pump is not very strong either. I dropped it and it cracked, although I was still able to use it for a little while. Pump has lots of little essential components, which can all become flawed and stop the pump working. First the valve had a tiny hole in it that was barely visible, but it stopped the pump from working (thankfully they noted that this could happen in the notes and did have a spare included in the package). Then another rubber component warped, probably just because it was being used a lot I guess, but this also affected the strength of the suction. They did include a spare, but did not note that this could happen. In essence too many 'little bits' that can go wrong or go missing.

General Comments
I used this pump daily from the day after my son was born. Having used the Medela pump before, which worked reasonably well, had travelled with me and withstood all kinds of bumps, drops and intensive used, I had imagined that the Ameda Lactaline Breast Pump might be even better because it is a double pump. However, in practice, although the pump was reasonably good for extraction, I found it to be quite poor for sturdiness, practicality (in my particular case), and for the reliability of the component parts.

Although it 'does the job' and has good controls for speed and power, I would not recommend it, as it is quite expensive compared to other pumps, and overall the parts are quite flimsy.