US Airways Review

• Quality of Entertainment

• Quality of food

lanypoo1979's review of US Airways

☆☆☆☆☆

“As a passenger looking outward, I could tell that we...”

Written on: 20/03/2007 by lanypoo1979 (1 review written)

After our first mechanical delay, we were given a hotel for that night and meal vouchers for the next day, although we had to queue for over an hour to get them. I've given customer service a two out of ten for the two out of over twenty US Airways staff who were actually of any help to us. That, and the fact that they refunded us the unused portion of our trip.

We were due to fly out on 15 March 2007, boarded our plane on time at 1800 but were stuck on the tarmac at BWI for 2 to 3 hours due to mechanical problems at PHL. Our connecting flight to MAN was at 2100, so the departure from BWI at 2040 and subsequent arrival at PHL at 2110 made us late already. Add in the 10-15 minutes it takes to disembark. I ran from Terminal F to A but they closed that gate at 2125, we got there at 2127. We were pointed to a desk, employees were getting off, they pointed us to another desk. We went to the second desk, employees were getting off and informed us that, can't you see, we're closed! They pointed us to another desk after much pleading. His day was done, he honestly didn't give a hoot! We queued for 1 hour before being helped; that transaction took another hour; we were given a hotel and food vouchers; all restaurants in the area closed; arrived at the hotel at between 12 midnight and 1am on 16 March.

Arrived back at PHL on 16 March at 1100. Weather situation was worsening. We waited all day, had to purchase essentials like toothpaste, soap, deodorant and could not carry on, due to TSA's rules. We watched as PHL's runways iced over and our departure looked more and more doubtful. All domestic flights cancelled at around 1800, international flights cancelled at 1900 ish. All at once. Despite our flights being cancelled, some departure boards had our destination listed as, on time. This caused false hopes in us, we dashed back to the gate to be informed that it was a glitch. We queued for two hours in a queue we had no hopes of reaching the front of and gave up. Found one last hotel room in Philly, roads were terrible but we made it there.

We arrived back at PHL at 0900 on 17 March. I had already been on the phone with US Airways for two hours, with no results. My phone died after two hours. We saw the sea of people and thought it would be best to cancel our trip. Delays had already significantly shortened our trip, exhaustion and illness were further aiding to our decision to abort the mission. Finally, US Airways were unable to retrieve our luggage as they suspected it had already been put on the next flight, although we were not given a ticket for that flight! We are still awaiting luggage as of today.

In all, we were effectively stranded at the airport for three days, we spent over $400 in essentials like food, medicine, toiletries, clothes, etc.

General Comments
As a passenger looking outward, I could tell that we were not going to be able to get out of town on 16 March. I think as an airline, they should have been aware of the problem much sooner and should have taken action much sooner, maybe at 1600 as opposed to 1900, to give passengers and employees more time to take care of business. US Airways was significantly hit by this weather event. I understand that thousands of people were affected by this. However, it could have been handled better. We've travelled extensively throughout Europe and Africa and have never been stuck in an airport for three days or treated so appallingly. We plan to avoid US Airways at all costs, although I do hope they do something to improve their practices.

• March 2007

Flight Date

• BWI to PHL to MAN

Flight From - To

• Economy

Ticket class

• Customer service

Degbert's Response to lanypoo1979's Review

Written on: 26/03/2007

It is not just then. There is a catalogue of stories already on this website. US Air attempts to do a bit of long-haul but it is not quite up to it. The services are flaky, the cabin classes poor, the lounges dreary and the services themselves must be lowest-in-class on reliability. I tried to get to RDU from LGW a couple of years back. They just cancelled. That was it, no excuse. It was the last US-bound flight of the day, which meant I missed any chance to get to the US for the following day and I had to cancel the entire trip. I got a refund but I have a client who thinks I can't arrange to be somewhere when I promise. US Airways won't get my business again, sorry guys.

Lanypoo1979's Response to lanypoo1979's Review

Written on: 31/03/2007

Update as of 30 March 2007: When we went to retrieve our luggage at PHL at approximately 10:00 on 17 March, we were informed that our luggage was sent on to our final destination in Manchester, UK even though we did not have a boarding pass! We visited the Baggage Claim Centre at PHL, where they lumped us in with everyone else and we were informed that our luggage would be sent to our home address.
<br/>
<br/>On 20 March 2007, our mostly empty souvenir bag was returned to us. Without the accompanying luggage, I was alarmed and spent between 2 and 4 hours on the phone with their lost luggage call centre trying to find out where my stuff was. As I checked their online system, it said my stuff was at the airport and the delivery process had been initiated.
<br/>
<br/>On 21 March 2007, our fluorescent yellow Delsey duffel bag was returned to us. With one last bag remaining, I asked the call centre person, is my other bag at the airport? I only live 2 miles from there, so I could come and get it. I was informed that it was not at the airport.
<br/>
<br/>On 23 March 2007, they closed out our ticket, although one piece of luggage was yet to be found. When I confronted them about it, they told me to start the reimbursement process, although it would take 8-10 weeks to get money for clothing.
<br/>
<br/>On 25 March 2007, someone at BWI airport informed me that, my bright yellow Delsey suitcase was at their baggage centre at BWI the whole time.