Philips FWM589 Review

Philips FWM589
3.8
  • Sound Quality

ronny88's review of Philips FWM589

“I bought this Philips FWM589 hifi for my birthday and...”

written by ronny88 on 14/12/2006

*The system has good sound quality
*Excellent rms power output through 2 channels
*Thumping bass
*Quirky looks
*Very good value for money

*Cheap end of the market
*Not built to the best standards
*Poorly designed bass ports
*Noisy and slow CD changer

General Comments
I bought this Philips FWM589 hifi for my birthday and it is worth the money. I had been courting the idea for a while and I was finally swayed when a friend bought one and I heard it first hand. However, the first one I bought was a huge disappointment as there was a problem with the amplifier, meaning my friends volume 10 was my 20! However, I am judging on the system that I now have.

Firstly lets summarise the good points. It is, in my opinion, a really great design and the power of 400 watts through 2 channels is very good- the MAX SOUND function is an excellent amplification design which instantly adds bass and a fuller dynamic to the sound. Vol 10 out of 40 is usually quite loud and I usually stick below vol 12 due to the vibration of the whole of my room. The USB PC link is also extremely useful as it allows you to basically play your media centre on your computer through the system. I find the function whereby the track can be changed by the remote extremely useful. so far so good.

On the negative side I do get the feeling that the hifi is reflective of its cheap price in terms of its build quality as it does have quite a flimsy plasticy feel. The speakers are poorly designed in terms of their bass ports which sometimes make a wooshing sound as the air moves out of them- this can spoil certain bassier songs. so much so that I bought a different pair of speakers. Another slight bugbear is the noisiness and slowness of the CD changer- very loud for a new system. The game port, albeit a good theory, does not inspire and the sound through that is no where near as good as through the PC link or auxiliary output.

In summary, although there are bad points to this system, the sheer power is worth the money and the sound quality does verge on excellent most of the time. You get what you pay for- the system is right up my street because I love bass and power in a system so if you're after this in a hifi buy it. Definitely age range of 13-25 I would say is the target audience.

• Sound Quality

• 1 - 6 Months

Time Mini System Owned

Quietquackers's Response to ronny88's Review

Written on: 18/12/2006

Great review! I own the Philips FWM589 hifi myself, and I can say this review summarises the features excellently.