Philips eXpanium Review

• Sound Quality

• Battery Life

Pyro.'s review of Philips eXpanium

“I paid a lot of money for this MP3 player, (compared...”

Written on: 10/07/2001 by Pyro. (1 review written)

Plays MP3's
Album Skip function
Good anti-shock buffer

Doesnt do very much for the money.
Looks Expensive, but feels Cheap.
No ID3 Tags, no Album/Track info.

General Comments
I paid a lot of money for this MP3 player, (compared to buying a portable CD player or a personal stereo) and feel like I should have received more player for my money. Sure, it plays a hell of a lot of MP3 music on one CD, but what else does it do?

If I had bought this 3 years ago, I would have been really impressed, but now my expectations are higher, and this unit didn't quite meet my expectations.

To be impressed, at the money I paid, I would have wanted a metal case, not cheap plastic. a good display with Album/Track information, and some nice useless features like a graphic equaliser, & little flashy lights that jump up & down in time with the music.. some kind of "future proofing" in the form of codec/firmware upgradeability would be good also.

But compared to the other CD/MP3 players on the market, It feels lake a safe and basically good quality choice.

At least the The CD-Based players are inherently future proofed, in that if the MP3 standard changes, Flash memory standards change, etc etc. At least you still have a portable CD player!