Panasonic SC-PM28 Review

• Sound Quality

Rab.'s review of Panasonic SC-PM28

“I've been using this unit for about a week now and I...”

Written on: 05/05/2003 by Rab. (1 review written)

Build Quality, Sound, Features, Display and Price

No Eject button on Remote and Slight Hiss sound in back ground

General Comments
I've been using this unit for about a week now and I couldn't be more happy with it except for a few minor things.

The unit is absolutely amazing looking. The half-mirror finish is great and speakers are heavy and expensive feeling. The feature list is impressive, from the relatively quite and fast 5-disc changer to the large display (with Dimmer), to the logical and ease of use.

The sound quality is very good. Apart from the low background hissing sound that is present as soon as you raise the volume above Min (--), although you have to be sitting within a meter of the unit and in absolute quiet settings to hear it. This is the same problem encountered with most Sony units although I must say it is less apparent here with Panasonic. The preset EQs were nice although not very usable. The manual EQ (with Bass and Treble controls) is a good inclusion. The radio reception is good as well although I have this unit sitting next to a window with the FM antenna positioned well.

No inclusion of an eject button on the remote was a little disappointing however to make up for this Panasonic has made changing discs a breeze.

I paid $350 (CAD) for this unit, about 240 US, and I believe this unit to be a great value for the money.