LG U880 Review

• Battery Life

• Reception

• Style

poetuesday's review of LG U880

“I have had my old V500 for some time, and I am not...”

Written on: 02/12/2005 by poetuesday (2 reviews written)

Thin, lightweight, funky and solid.

Swivel camera, no flash, too many icons on the two screens, camera/video button on the side.

General Comments
I have had my old V500 for some time, and I am not really into phones, so I thought it was time I changed networks and phones. Out of the phones available on 3, I went for the LG U880 as it was smaller that the other options.

I like the look of it. Having two screens is cool, and the blue illuminated buttons are nice. I am easily pleased, and only really want a phone that does the basics. I don't want to download music or do video calling, but having these I options will naturally fill other buyers remit.

I am not that hot with using phones, and it took a while for me to get my head around the menu, but what I like about the phone is that the buttons are big, the menu (once I had worked out what I was doing) was easy (but the manual wasn't), and it seems to be quite strong but lightweight. I don't like the camera button on the side of the phone, or the swivel camera lens (just seems a bit cheap); nor do I like the little covers for the charger and other plug in devices. I don't know what is attaching them to the phone, but they don't seem to be very strong, and I can see that with a bit of use, especially from someone trying to open them in the car etc., that they may well snap away.

Initially I didn't like the phone and was really tempted to return it, but now that I am used to it I really like it. I just need to have less techno fear and I think we will get along fine. I just wish that the phone manufacturers would write manuals for beginners, maybe then we all might be able to use more of the functions available.

• Battery Life

• Reception

• Style

Poetuesday's Response to poetuesday's Review

Written on: 27/12/2005

I have now had this phone for a bit and there are many things that annoy me about it, remembering that I am not that great with phones so maybe the issues are with me and not the phone:
<br>The keypad is all the same level, there is no way to feel your way around it, there are 2 very slight ridges on the number 5 but you cannot actually feel these, it makes working your way around the keypad a nightmare other than when you are looking at it.
<br>
<br>There is no speaker phone option that I can find and it does not have voice activated contacts (which is not that cool when in a car etc).
<br>Not very good with bluetooth connections, no USB cable or memory card as standard.
<br>You can't personalise the opening flip noise (so no Star Trek communicators beeps for me ;-( ), you can't delete all your texts in one go, you have to delete them one by one.
<br>
<br>One good point for people like me is that is does ask for confirmation on most of the things you ask it to do, however this is not the case when sending texts, so many times I have sent half written texts as I am use to my old phone and it's button positions and I go to press the spelling button and actually send the text instead, my fault I admit but there is no confirmation option like there is with every other command you give to the phone.
<br>
<br>I don't want much from a phone and I do like this phone but I would expect certain things to be standard and would certainly expect it to be consistant, which it isn't.
<br>
<br>I would highly recommend that if you are thinking of getting this phone that you work out that the keypad is workable for you as it is the most annoying thing to me now that I know my way around the phone.