VW T25 Campervan Review

tomdickharry's review of VW T25 Campervan

“I have owned my VW T25 campervan for at least 6 months...”

Written on: 17/11/2005 by tomdickharry (6 reviews written)

Very easy to drive, made easier by the auto gear box.
Excellent all-round vision,
Despite weight and lack of power steering it is very easy to steer.
Very spacious inside, as others say - Tardis like, despite not being much longer than some big estate cars.
Solid body work.

No major problems. Very reliable, but when purchasing remember they are older vans. Mine is 20 years old. Bear this in mind because the ones that have not been looked after could have potential problems due to age. Having said that, mine is fine apart from VERY minor rust to one or two seams, and worn window rubbers, which are easy fix jobs.
Auto box slows down the van, especially on long hill climbs, There is reasonable acceleration in first and second gear. Buy a manual if you are more worried about performance than the ease of auto box.
Not very economical, but then it is a 20 year old 1.9 auto with a heavy square body!

General Comments
I have owned my VW T25 campervan for at least 6 months now, and I would not be without it! I always wanted a VW. The older bays look nice, but aren't as big. They are also more prone to problems, and good ones cost a fortune. From 1985 (I think, maybe 1984) they are water cooled, helping the life of the engine, and are more practical if stuck in traffic in mid-summer, but the engine still sounds like a VW - great sound! They are incredibly easy to drive, especially those with auto boxes (not sure how common autos are), but 1.9 autos are not very economical. Manual would be better if using every day, and if fuel efficiency is an issue. I can see why some lower their vans, as they can lean and feel clumsy on cornering unlowered, but I think this is part of the character.

Br>I definitely would recommend to a friend, but due to age I would recommend you buy carefully. On the whole mine is very reliable, but just use your common sense. I personally would buy a manual next time for economical reasons, and to have slightly more power around my local B roads in Devon, however it makes for easy driving on straight roads and in towns, and if you are a performance freak then why by a VW T25?

Autojackie's Response to tomdickharry's Review

Written on: 01/05/2011

I found this review very helpful because... we are just about to get our first t25 auto and was good to read a review which was about an automatic