Robosapien Review

whitefalcon's review of Robosapien

“What do I love about the Robosapien is the dance. I...”

Written on: 23/07/2005 by whitefalcon (4 reviews written)

I got the Robosapien limited edition, it is chrome and looks really cool. So even when not used is great to have around as a conversation piece.
Find one of these that you like the ergonomic factors on before you get it. There are many different body types for Robosapien and are not all created equal. Some of the inexpensive models have a very cheap looking front breast cover and chimpy arms. The limited editions have very robust cool looking arms. All models do have the same programing, so if looks are not important to you get the cheapest model you can find.
Funny Karate chop.
Very cool dance demo is worth buying it just for that.

Battery installation takes a few minutes and requires a phillips screwdriver to put the batteries into the feet and the remote. The screws can very easily be lost to during this stage. A snap over cover would have been better.
It's not possible to use the hands to reach over and pick something say off of a table. Hands open but the hand opens as the arm is turned. It's not possible to put the hand over and open it and grab say a cup on a table.
There should be an option to turn the sound off. I myself don't like the burping feature and consider it unprofessional to exhibit and don't use it. The only work around would be to cut the words going to the speaker. Or put a switch in yourself that makes it possible to turn on and off sound.

General Comments
What do I love about the Robosapien is the dance. I have watched that over and over again. I also like the Karate moves. I think its a wonderful toy for the value. It reminds me in many ways of the Robot in the Lost in Space movie. Of course minus tractor transportation system and extra arms.

I wish it had more lights on it. Perhaps in the next version a cell phone light add on interface could be added to the face plate to add a new dimension of coolness.

As I mentioned in the bad areas above the hands are really not controllable to pick up anything save the preprogrammed commands to pick up a bucket.

On the next version please make it so I can turn off burping sounds if desired.

I wish it could say hello instead of just grunting. Or even an R2D2 similar noise would have been a nice feature.

Don't get me wrong, it's a great value for the price. If you have a small pet just seeing the interaction with it is worth the price of admission. Our cat basically stared at it for a few minutes then went under a couch where she could more safely observe it.

I would not categorize this as a boy's toy. I think most of the people buying this item are grown men.

Oh it took me literally 30 minutes to get it away from the box. There are very secure wires used to put the robot in place to secure it during shipping so be sure to have some wire cutters handy or a nice pair of needle nose pliers to get this robot free of its box.

Unless you are Will Robinson you will love this robot. Will would miss the Danger will Robinson from the B9 robot.