Beeman R1 Review

• Accuracy

• Handling

Tholzel's review of Beeman R1

“I've shot entensively with two Beeman R-1 "Laser" air...”

Written on: 11/07/2005 by Tholzel (14 reviews written)

Accurate, well-made. Good trigger

Hard on scopes

General Comments
I've shot entensively with two Beeman R-1 "Laser" air rifles. "Laser" was an upgraded Beeman offered which incrased power to about 20-21 ft-lbs (depending on pellet weight--heavy pellets faired better). Accuracy and a fine trigger (and a darn fine-looking rifle) are the high points.

But my scopes and scope mounts took a beating. I had to go to heroic measures to lock them down, including adding a sliver of emory cloth between ring and scope tube, and using the highest rated Lok-Tite thread sealer for the mounting screws. Even then the scope would eventual work its way loose.

Theoben makes a nifty gas strut replacement for the R-1 mainspring. See: http://www.theoben.co.uk/customer/home.php?cat=8. This boosts power to about 19 ft-lbs. Brits will need an FAC to order.

• Accuracy

• Handling

Dual Mag Mike's Response to Tholzel's Review

Written on: 27/03/2006

Wow, I'm sorry to hear of all the problems you had with the scope creep. Have you ever heard of or tried Beeman's scope stops or a scope mount with a built in recoil pin? I have had excellent results with either one. My old R1 has Beeman's Professional scope stop on it for 20 years now and never a micron worth of creep. I also have several other air guns including a Pro Elite a 22 ft. lb. gun that has a scope mount with the recoil pin attached with no creep at all. If the problem is only with the scope sliding in the mount and not the mount sliding in the rail maybe you could try Beeman's 5040 dlx. 1 pc mount with 4 allen screws per each of its 2 rings. Beeman also has a Dampa mount with a built in shock absorber that Theoben even uses on their Ultra Magnum Eliminator. I hope this helps.

Pcp4Me's reply to Dual Mag Mike's Comment

Written on: 31/08/2013

Well....I have actually had the hole the stop pin goes into elongated and stretched from this gun as well as several other "magnum" spring guns! Not pretty at all.

My solution? PCP! Higher velocities and energies possible with not scope creep at all!

In my opinion, guns with this much recoil should have a picatinny rail either built as one piece with the receiver or welded on! This is the only way I know to ensure no scope creep.

Never had a problem with scopes moving in the rings. If you use high quality rings and torque the screws down good, they don't move.

However, I had one case of an $8 set of cheap rings break from the severe recoil. It only had two small screws holding the rings, and they both broke on the rear ring! So much for cheap rings on magnum spring guns!!

I got rid of all my high recoiling spring guns and went to pcp, hence my name!

Tholzel's Response to Tholzel's Review

Written on: 28/03/2006

"I'm sorry to hear of all the problems you had with the scope creep."

Take a look at http://www.velocitypress.com/air_rifle_ballistics.php#bb to see an example of scope rail creep in spite of a positive recoil blocking pin. The problem on the laserized R-1s (remember, these have more power than the normal models) was that the tube slid inside the rings regardless of how much I tightened them down. Thus the use of a small patch of fine emery cloth jammed in between ring and tube--which did the trick.