Sennheiser HD 280 pro Review

• Sound Quality

• Comfort Level

ampmaestro's review of Sennheiser HD 280 pro

“Of late I have felt the need to get some quality...”

Written on: 02/06/2005 by ampmaestro (19 reviews written)

Good all-round performance.

Bulky looking things.

General Comments
Of late I have felt the need to get some quality sounds into my ears and having a good set of headphones like the Sennheiser HD 280 pro's is a good way to get it there. I have been a Koss brand follower in the past and to date I would say tha the Koss TD-80 is by far the best bass reproducer I have even listened to.

A while ago I ventured in the realms of Sennheiser and tried some of their phones. The 280 Pro quite impressed me as being quite a good compromise between the cheap and the expensive and yet still retaining some quite good tones from low to very high frequencies. As a matter of fact I think they may well be the ideal purchase from the whole range. They are about one-third of the cost of the top of the line and they still perform almost as good. They completely enclose you ears and don't let any background sounds through, unlike some of the more expensive models. Typical of Sennheisers, they have superb reproduction right across the spectrum and although the bass in not as strong as the Koss TD-80's I referred to above, they completely outclass them in overall performance. Believe me, if you had them both side by side, you would know what I mean. They "are" good.

The one single thing I dislike is the gigantic cross member between the earpieces which looks more like a grab rail than an integral part of a headphone. Look at yourself in the mirror when you are wearing them and you will think you look like a fruit bat or a robot. The whole headphone, though, looks quite a strong unit and constructed like they are, I would say that they are infact quite solid.

There may well be other better phones than these but you will have to pay accordingly to get them. The 280 Pro's are a good headphone...

• Sound Quality