Panasonic NV-GS15B Review

• Video Quality

• Sound Quality

• Battery Life

sjpage's review of Panasonic NV-GS15B

“To treat myself on my upcoming holiday I decided to...”

Written on: 27/10/2004 by sjpage (1 review written)

1) It has a 24 * zoom (though you struggle to hold it steady as the image stabilizer is useless and the picture degrades in quality and the images have a haze around them)
2) It has a night mode (though would have been a lot better with night vision o lux as the LED's are usless)
3) It's small (though I personally found the angle my hand sits at when using its to steep and uncomfortable and find it hard to press the start stop recording without it shaking all over the place)
4) It can take pictures on a SD card (though just not worth it at VGA quality)

1) The white balance has a tendency to be blue a lot of the time
2) On full zoom images have a noticeable haze around them
3) The recorded image seems to have a over contrasted look about it
4) Fast panning creates a obvious blocky mpeg break up
5) The image stabilizer is block by block movement at close range and not noticeable on high zoom or when it is it's very blocky movement.

General Comments
To treat myself on my upcoming holiday I decided to purchase a Panasonic NVGS15b Digital camcorder to replace my 2 year old JVC GR-DVL 150 this is of a similar set up to the Panasonic just older with a 800 pixel sensor the same as the Panasonic. To help fund my new purchase I sold my JVC, now to my horror I have found that my old JVC would have run rings around it,I personally regret buying this camera, the main reasons I did by it was for the 24 x zoom and the reassurance from my local dealer that it would be way better than my old JVC, in my personal opinion the camera is noticeably cheap with poor picture quality for a DV camera. I have seen better results from HI8's.

However it's all down to personal preference if you have never had a DV camcorder before you may not know any better and be quite pleased with it or if you accept it's faults for it's size and price then you may see it as a fair trade off.

I personally will be looking down the Sony route for my next camera, as I have always found the quality way better especially as they use Karl Zeiss lens.

• 1 - 6 Months