Sony Ericsson T230 Review

• Battery Life

• Reception

• Style

ExeterDave's review of Sony Ericsson T230

Sony Ericsson T230 Review: I tend to get bored with...”

Written on: 22/07/2004 by ExeterDave (1 review written)

INCREDIBLE value for money! Packed with all the features one expects from a far more expensive phone.

KeyPad a li'l fiddly for those used to Nokia handsets! No data cable port for PC connection(?)

General Comments
Sony Ericsson T230 Review: I tend to get bored with phones quite quickly, and often end up replacing my pre-pay handset three, maybe four times a year. This used to cost me a fortune, because the re-sale value of phones £150-250 isn't that great, & you can guarantee that within three months most models have been superceded, so you end up getting a pittance for second-user phones.

So, for the last year, I've kept a strict budget - NEVER spend more than £100 on a phone! Even now the T230 is £99.99 in the O2 shops around the country but shop around & you can do far better than that! Without the camera Phones4U will flog you the basic phone for £49.99/£79.99 with. Woolies, The Link, Currys & no doubt a few others give you the whole package (camera n' all) for £59.99.

So for under sixty quid you get a feature-packed, slimline handset with a 4096-colour LCD screen which displays 6 lines of text - great if you're chatting out in WAP-land - and reasonable quality photographs and animations. I guess I'd draw comparisons with the Siemens MC60, & the new Motorola, which offers similar features (except the camera is built-in) for about £79.99. The Siemens (like most of their handsets) lacks the style of the T230 - Sony seem to take pride in both the ergonomics & the visual impact without sacrificing features. It oozes quality compared to those two, and the Motorola in particular suffers from a piddly-little screen & a keypad small enough that only a four-year-old can operate it!

The camera's adequate - I take pix for web publishing in my work, & I use the T230 for test shots, then go back & use a top-range digital camera if the project warrants it.

In summary - at £60 you really can't go wrong with this phone - it's streets ahead of anything at a comparable price, and while I've seen a few moans about the camera not being integrated, I quite like the fact it's detachable. So unless you take loads & loads of photographs, I'd recommend this phone to absolutely anyone.

• Battery Life