Nikon F100 Review

• Photograph Quality

Tom.'s review of Nikon F100

“I traded in my F801 against a Nikon F100 35mm SLR...”

Written on: 30/09/2002 by Tom. (1 review written)

Nice to use. Fast AF. Good metering. Bright display. Almost every feature you could ever want. Feels solid. Very efficient picture taking machine. Takes standard AA batteries (easy to find in out of the way places).

No mirror lockup. Needs factory mod to leave leader out. Dust gets into the film chamber.

General Comments
I traded in my F801 against a Nikon F100 35mm SLR camera just a few months after the newer camera came out. It has never let me down and I have got better results from it than any of my other cameras. It is a fine camera ... but

I have never found any use for the selectable focus area. I have it permanently locked on the centre sensor.

Despite the F100's improvements there is nothing that I do with it that I could not accomplish with my old F801 almost as easily. In fact I prefer my daughter's F80 to the F100 because the F80 is lighter, it uses a standard remote cable (expensive special purpose item on F100), the built in flash can be useful, and it has the neat on-demand gridlines whereas I have to change the screen to get gridlines. As the camera is electronically controlled the omission of mirror-lockup is unforgiveable - it strikes me as a cynical ploy to encourage purchase of the F5.

The F100 is a great camera, but for the same amount of cash you could have a new F80, AND a new FM3A, or for half the price of a new F100 you could have a near perfect used F801 and a lovely FM2. In value for money there is no contest.

46031_John Ford.'s Response to 40680_Tom.'s Review

Written on: 24/10/2002

Good review. Makes a change from the usual rubbish.

I too am very pleased with my F100 my wife treated me to a 24-80 ED nikkor which has made my pics so much brighter and noticeably more vibrant.

The lack of "mirror lock-up" has never worried me as I don't take pictures that require a scientific level of approach. Most modern professional cameras are made so well that they don't require it. Certainly not the type of photography I deal with.

Really good comments. Thanks for the reveiw.

331399_Debk3's Response to 40680_Tom.'s Review

Written on: 16/12/2007

I am looking for the best Nikon film SLR for my needs and knowing the F80 is lighter weight is useful.