Duran Duran Review

Mindy's review of Duran Duran

“Now, I was never a massive Duranie in the '80's,...”

Written on: 22/04/2004 by Mindy (82 reviews written)

The old songs sound great
Lots of energy onstage

Old, bloated
New songs - like who cares?!
Cheesy anecdotes
No screens so if you're not down the front it's like watching old, bloated ants running around.

General Comments
Now, I was never a massive Duranie in the '80's, although most of my friends were, but I always liked their songs (well, the early stuff, "Notorious" and the "White Lines" cover are pretty wretched) and so thought I'd fulfill one of my childhood dreams of seeing Duran Duran live.

We bought our tickets quite late in the day, and, as a result, were sat up in the rafters. I don't know whether this was a good thing, or a bad thing. Being that high up, and with no big screens like are usually present at an arena gig, it was like watching a bunch of ants. Simon initially had on a white jacket, but once that came off it was actually hard to tell where he was. I'm not certain I was bothered as actually seeing how old and fat they are now it might have ruined the old mystique. However, the atmosphere is never as good at the back end of a gig and we were subject to lots of talking through slower songs and people looking surly.

As for the show itself, it was pretty much what you'd expect from a Duran Duran show. They did all the big hits - "Rio", "Hungry Like the Wolf", "The Reflex," "Wild Boys," "Union of the Snake," etc., as well as a few more obscure classics such as "The Chauffeur" and they sounded brilliant. Despite being pretty much cheesy '80's tat they were fresh and energetic and the band seemed to enjoy playing these old songs.

The fatal problem was that, for some reason, Duran Duran seemed to think that people are actually interested in their NEW material. As in just written. Even when it's awful. Even when introduced with cheesy, long-winded stories about how this or that song was written for their children with ideas about a peaceful future with no wars, etc. With that intro we knew it was going to be bad and we were not pleasantly surprised.

So what can I say, the first half hour was fantastic and the last half hour was pretty ace and the hour in the middle was pretty much a yawn-fest of bloated rock star self indulgence. I dislike massive arena shows at the best of times, but with the right atmosphere and a well-crafted setlist that keeps the audience's attention and doesn't sandwich too many obscure tracks together they can be a massive buzz. Unfortunately, last night none of these things happened and I came away feeling the show itself was distinctly average.

But at least now I can say I've seen Duran Duran, so I won't have to shell out £35 again for them. And it means I can avoid massive arena gigs for another couple of years, if I'm lucky.

• M.E.N. Arena, Manchester

Venue

Seen Before

Bournville's Response to Mindy's Review

Written on: 30/04/2004

Did you see a different band to the one I saw? I was at the M.E.N. on the 17th of April and it was the best concert I have ever been to! Yes, I may be a lifelong Duranie but I am also a lifelong fan of various acts who I have also seen and this concert blew all of the others away for just sheer enjoyment factor.
<br>As for the band being fat and bloated well I don't think so. I was right at the very front against the barrier so I think I had just a little bit of a better view than you had and none of them are fat and bloated. In fact, Simon looked better than he has in ages and if anything John looks like he needs to put on a couple of pounds.
<br>As for no one being bothered about their new material, I'd like you to ask the REAL fans (which you obviously are not) if they are bothered. I think you'll find a slightly different amongst us. If you want to go and hear has beens play nothing but old stuff to a bunch of 30something saddos go and see the 'here and now' tour. I'm sure you'd enjoy that much more.

Wsd's Response to Mindy's Review

Written on: 12/11/2004

Which media critics? People on here are not from the media they're just music fans.
<br>
<br>I agree about being disappointed with the new Duran Duran stuff. It doesn't have the same bite as the old stuff. I think this happens a lot with musicians as they age. When they start they're angry and hungry and have a lot to say, but after 10 or 20 years, millions of pounds and all that, they've settled down, have families and are happy. Frankly, a satisfying life doesn't make for a great creative energy. It's great for them that they're happy, but their art has suffered for it.
<br>
<br>I suppose in the long run I'm happy that I have a couple of Duran Duran albums that I really enjoy. While it would have been lovely to be as inspired by the most recent Duran Duran single as I was by their first one, it's hardly the world's greatest tragedy that I wasn't. There's lots of great new music out there to fill that void and I can still go back and listen to the old songs. I'd rather have Duran Duran around making mediocre music for old folks than have to read their obits having been led to an early grave from depression and drug abuse like an Elliott Smith or an Ian Curtis.

Jpduran's Response to Mindy's Review

Written on: 01/06/2004

What could you expect about the media critics?? They are not partial, and they don't hear the music, only are ruled by the same inflexible standards that accomplished the band over all the 25 years.. the success of Duran Duran is only the music, without any propaganda help, or positive reviews.. but this is not the end, it is only a new beginning, a Phoenix Return, and with our help (Duranies all over the world), all your critics will fall on their feet, on their return to ultimate glory.

More Than Ever's Response to Mindy's Review

Written on: 05/05/2004

(To Gagnor: yes, I found this review through a link on a DD message board. There are lots of good DD message boards. The two official ones are duranduran.com and duranduranmusic.com.)
<br>To reviewer:
<br>Boy did you miss the boat. Well, to each her own. It would be a boring world if we all had the same opinion. I personally feel the band members look HOT, and slender (John needs to gain some weight, though). And all of them have significantly improved as musicians and performers over the years, which has not only ratcheted up the quality level of the music even further, but also of the live performances, which were already great.
<br>
<br>With regards to the new music, I think you'll find there is great excitement about it among Duran fans and on DD sites all over the Internet. Beautiful Colours, for example, has only been heard in concert and is already causing a stir. (and all the new lyrics that have leaked out, likewise, are causing a stir--they're really well done). What Happens Tomorrow is another great song, and there are bunches more. It's clear you had no interest in hearing new music from them, so perhaps you were just a bit prejudiced. Wait until the album comes out--then give it another chance.

Gagnor Regis's Response to Mindy's Review

Written on: 04/05/2004

I might be totally wrong here, but did you guys all follow a link into here from a Duran website? If so, which one? Otherwise, how did you find this?
<br>
<br>Always looking for good Duran Duran messageboards is all....

Mindy's Response to Mindy's Review

Written on: 04/05/2004

Thanks for all your very constructive comments. I'm sorry if I upset anyone, but that review was my opinion based upon my own experience. The Duran Duran gig I attended (which was on the 21st, not the 17th) was one of four gigs (by four different headline acts) I saw in the same fortnight. It was also the weakest of the lot and the one I'd been waiting for the longest. I see a lot of live bands, in fact, what most of my friends and colleagues consider to be a ridiculous number of bands live, and as far as the multitude of shows I've been to are concerned, Duran Duran were about average. Not the best gig I've ever been to, but certainly not the worst.
<br>
<br>As far as my bad seats are concerned, I've seen far better gigs at the MEN Arena from worse seats than I had that night. It just felt a bit scripted, like maybe they say the same things every night to elicit the same screaming and applause. I prefer a little more spontenaity and a lot more chaos.
<br>
<br>The reason the review itself was given expert status is not because I have any amount of knowledge about Duran Duran, but because of nature of the information contained in the review itself. It gave a detailed description of all the good and bad things about the gig and made a conclusion based on those things rather than being merely untamed adoration or pure unadulterated bile.
<br>
<br>I have to say I like Duran Duran a lot. I've been listening to them for 20 years and have always enjoyed listening to them and I do consider myself a fan, but, no, they aren't my favourite band. Even if they were, however, I'm certainly entitled to be critical. If I were an artist I'd hate to think that the people buying my records did so merely out of loyalty. Instead, I would hope that they had listened critically to my output and had bought it because they loved it, not because they loved me.
<br>
<br>In the end, I got what I wanted out of the night, I enjoyed it. I just wouldn't pay to see it again. It's only an opinion but that is, in the end, what a review is meant to be - be that opinion good or bad.

153995_Bppetrol's Response to Mindy's Review

Written on: 03/05/2004

This review seems to have been written by a 13 year old little girl. There is no adult maturity at all. My daughter could have written a better review if she stood out side the arena. It seems like your 35 pounds should have been spent on something better, like an eye exam. Fat I didnt see any fat members of DD. I bet your not as slim as you where 20 years ago either. It's ashame when 80's fans come out of the woods and all of a sudden claim to have been fans all along. If you followed the band throught all the changes in their music you would have enjoyed their new material. At least with DD you know you can hear new material with each new CD. Those that where 80's fans still expect to hear the same type of music. Well as we true DD fans who have been fans since the 80's learned to love the variety of the music. This won't be the first out of the 80's fan review I'll read. It's just ashame that you for some reason spent 35 pounds on a ticket for a show that evening. Maybe a Justin Timberlake show is more up your alley.

153984_Joannem's Response to Mindy's Review

Written on: 03/05/2004

WHAT AN ABSOLUTE LOAD OF RUBBSH.
<br>
<br>THE NEW SONGS WERE BRILLIANT AND THE CROWDS LOVED THEM.
<br>
<br>THE BAND ARE IN FANTASTIC SHAPE.
<br>
<br>I THINK THIS REVIEWER DOESN'T NOW WHAT HE/SHE IS TALKING ABOUT.

Yourhavinga Laughlove's Response to Mindy's Review

Written on: 03/05/2004

"Expert Review", how on earth that could be described an expert review is beyond me. I was at the Manchester gig and these guys totally rocked. To describe them as "fat and bloated" is hilarious, did you forget your glasses love, as you were obviously not watching the show that the rest of us were - the guys are looking fantastic and sounded great, and yes we are interested in the new material which is gonna prove you so so very wrong "Mrs Expert Review" it's just gonna rock its way to the top of the charts and someones gonna have egg on their face me thinks! It's been a fantastic tour, can't wait for the next one.

Mcfly's Response to Mindy's Review

Written on: 01/05/2004

I'd expect to read this sort of rubbish if I accidentally picked up a copy of The Sun. Duran Duran are accomplished musicians and live performers and should not be misrepresented as badly as they have been here.

153784_Lioness176's Response to Mindy's Review

Written on: 01/05/2004

I would like comment on your review. first off you don't know what your talking about when it comes to DD themselves. Since you used to be a fan back in the day, the boys are better than they have ever been, the new songs are great, and they are not bloated and being you were way up in the rafters and they looked like ants to you how can you tell if they were bloated or not. DD is in the shape of their lives. I have met them personally last year and they the sweetest guys you will ever meet. So you need to have your facts straight before you diss them like you did, and that all I have to say.

Rujoking's Response to Mindy's Review

Written on: 01/05/2004

I couldnt disagree with this review more. I agree horrible seats will lessen and concert experience. It's a shame that you weren't a bit more organised and purchased your tickets sooner.
<br>
<br> "Bloated" "fat" and "old"? Those three things made the concert less enjoyable for you? Pity that you're that shallow. I believe most people go to concerts for the music, not because the artist is merely 'young' 'fit' and 'firm'. If these are your priorities, you have no place writting a review on a concert.
<br>
<br> I can appreciate your personal opinion of the newer music that they played. Everyone is entitled to their opinion. I just happen to have a different opinion of their new music.
<br>
<br> "Rock stars", hmmm well hate to break it to you, but they are 'pop stars'. Maybe your lack of knowledge in music is what led you to believe that their music is so called rock and roll.