Scandalous renewal increases - AVOID

• Customer service

Norrisec400's review of Saga Pet Insurance

“Scandalous renewal increases - AVOID”

Written on: 27/08/2014 by Norrisec400 (1 review written)

My 11 year old cat has been insured with Saga for most of his life and has lifetime cover. I have made a small number of claims over the years (3 I think) but all payouts were substantially less than the annual premiums. Reasonable premiums initially have now escalated to outrageous amounts, currently £650 p.a. I tried to change insurers a few years ago when they started to really bump up their premiums but because he was 8 years old it meant no-one would accept him for lifetime cover so I am trapped. My other 11 year old cat (who has also had a few claims) is with Petplan - apparently the industry gold standard, and who charge nothing like this amount and give excellent service. Had I known just how much Saga would load the premiums every year I would never have bought their insurance. BEWARE. I am retired so this is a substantial burden for me. I think the company's stance of favouring the over 50s needs serious re-evaluation. Given that it's not unheard of for well cared for cats to reach their mid-late teens or even twenty (2 of my 4 former mogs made it to past 20), in retrospect, if you are a good planner and disciplined enough not to break into the fund for other reasons, with this company you would be better off saving every month for when your pet gets elderly.

Have you made a claim?