Poor Quality, Stay Away!!!

Guest's review of Hammonds Furniture - www.hammonds-uk.com

“Poor Quality, Stay Away!!!”

Written on: 23/09/2020

We ordered the Langton corner wardrobe few months ago (February 2020) for total value over £6,000 after discount. Spent over 5h with their agent who promised us the quality of this wardrobe is top notch, even better than our newly fitted kitchen. We have requested that all doors to be the same width and height to the ceiling. The surveyor who came after the agent to confirm all dimensions, requirements etc, spent maybe 20min and was totally unhelpful and rude. Due to Covid delays we had the wardrobe partially fitted in August, it hasn't been finished yet. The quality of the wholewardrobe is so poor that the fitter had to order all 6 new panels, BoQ and Ikea provides better quality tbh. The doors didn't come the same width nor height as requested, leaving the 300mm gap between the doors and the ceiling, which was covered with a panel. I dont think Hammonds understands the "fitted wardrobe" meaning. I can install normal size wardrobe myself and fill all the gaps with panels. The surrounding panels to the top and sides of the wardrobe are not done with the same material and texture, hence in a day light the colour difference is very noticeable. All front and side panels aren't painted properly, one door had only primer on. All doors came damaged, roughly finished, parts not painted and assembled properly, back panels cut unevenly with rough edges, chipped paint, one cracked mirror etc etc. After submitting a complaint I received a phone call from their CS trying to force me to accept another fitter visit and sign off the completion form (to release a payment), then complaint later if we are not happy. This was cheap and unacceptable approach as we don't trust this brand nor the quality the promise. After emailing them all defect pictures, they sent another surveyor who confirmed all the defects and poor quality overall. Looks like they need the same pictures from 3 different persons to start believing how poor quality they provide. It has been 2 weeks now since the revisit and as per their yesterday's email, they received all paperwork and their technician team is currently working and processing this. I am not sure what to process, is it just another tactic to buy extra time? I sent email this morning instructing Hammonds to arrange the fitter to come and dismantle the wardrobe as I am not going to wait forever for them to improve their quality or spend over £6k for this. My trust in this brand has gone through the window. If I end up in a court with them, let it be. Empty promises, poor quality and great dissapointment.

• Langton corner wardrobe, £6,000 after 25% discount

• A few weeks late

Kops77's Comment

Written on: 23/09/2020

An update 23/09/20: received a copy of surveyor's report stating "Overall fit is very good from the fitter point of view, all issues are product quality. Fitter has already ordered 6 new doors, all other parts are poor finish". It is a shame the surveyor never mentioned in his report that there are up to 10mm gaps in between doors, the width of the doors is not the same, the materials all panels are made of are not the same too and other issues highlighted above. Hammond CS instructed me via email to my previous response requesting to dismantle the wardrobe: "Unfortunately we would not be able to look forwards a removal and refund as we do remain the right to rectify any outstanding works on the installation. I am currently awaiting a manufacture date from the production team and as soon as this has been received I shall be in touch further to book in the rectification works accordingly". For some reason Hammonds thinks that selling products to their customers is a trial and error exercise. Rectifying errors ie replacing a door because it came with broken mirror etc - that's fair enough, but selling poor quality product for lots of money isn't an error!!! At this point I am going to involve my solicitor as I am not letting this company to install the same quality wardrobe in my house nor paying for this.

Peterjevz's Comment

Written on: 02/10/2020

I feel your pain, I have needed to have someone out over 6 times to rectify it. They are such a poor company, they have signed the job off as showroom standard but still need to come out and sort it. I have trading standards involved. They damaged my walls and offered me £100 to fix it, I need to re plaster 1 wall which will cost more than that. They bully the customers, they take advantage and dictate when they come to your house. I feel for you, the worst company I have dealt with. If your not happy look up Consumer Rights act 2015, by Law they have 1 change to come and sort out the first issue. Seek advise from Citizens Advice. Such a poor company. I feel for you and others who get treated like rubbish. Pay good money for items which are sold as the best and receive stuff that looks second hand and installed with absolutely no care in the world. Horrendous customer service.