Staff beat cat in a bag!!!

Emiliei251's review of Playa la Arena, Hotel Playa la Arena

“Staff beat cat in a bag!!!”

Written on: 25/06/2014 by Emiliei251 (1 review written)

I have never complained about any hotel before and I was not going to complain about this hotel despite the bland food, the watered juices, the awful wine that seemed to be a swimming pool for flies or even the fact that they made a mistake with our booking and put us all into one room instead of two. However whilst waiting in one of the bars we saw a cleaner (R) heading for one of the doors that leads out the back. We could hear a cat meowing and then saw him kicking a bag (this was in front of other guests and a 3 year old!!!). To our absolute horror, we realised the meowing was coming from inside the bag that the cleaner had kicked. R was followed by the entertainment manager (who said his name was P). Once they had gone through the doors, we hesitated for a while before deciding to follow them in and ask why the cat was in a bag and why it was being kicked. We were not expected and when we saw R he had the cats head out of the bag on the floor, the cat was crying and I am not sure what he was doing to it. P told us to leave and we asked why he had the cat in a bag and why was he kicking it. R quickly got up and walked off with the cat in the bag while P told us that someone had kicked the cat and it was dying. We told him we had seen the cleaner kicking the cat in the bag and he then went to talk to R, we could hear arguing and then P came back. He asked if we were sure we saw him kick the cat and then told us to report it to the manager. When we got to reception we were told we could speak to the deputy manager, N. N was rude and arrogant. When I explained what had happened, he completely dismissed me with a smug look on his face and told me several times that the cat was already dead!!! He was not interested in listening to anything I had to say. I don't think I have ever been made to feel so little or furious!!! I do not know if the cat had been kicked by someone else before Rafael got to it but I guarantee that the cat was alive and got kicked (and who knows what else) by him; if the cat was dead, how would we have known he had a cat in the bag, dead cats don't meow!!! I am well aware that cats may be a problem and maybe beating cats in bags is the done thing (despite me being completely against it), but its not something I want to see and its not something I want children to see in a "family hotel". When we walked off N then said I will send the manager to speak to you on Monday, we gave him our room number and name. Still furious I spoke to P and told him what N had said and P confirmed he also saw the cat alive and heard its meow. This happened halfway through the holiday and it ruined the rest of our stay!!! Monday came and we didn't hear from the manager. I did not ask to speak to the manager again because I was still angry by what I had seen and by N's awful customer service, I thought if the manager is just as bad, I would rather not say anything!!! I will be reporting this to cosmos.