I will never use this company again - Beware

davidlabram's review of Smiths Glass Limited - www.smithsltd.co.uk

“I will never use this company again - Beware”

Written on: 12/10/2018 by davidlabram (1 review written)

I have experienced Smiths Glass over the past 18 years and unfortunately have seen a steady decline in the level of service they provide. To the point now where their after sales service is totally unacceptable and prospective customers need to be aware. Other reviewers have summed it up well and mirror my experiences.

I hope to keep this review balanced and give credit where it is due; The quality of the products is good and depending on the fitting team that arrives to complete the work you should get a reasonable job. All the teams I have dealt with have needed some 'prompting' to address the small details. They are pressured to complete in a set time frame and therefore cut corners. This however results in needing to return to fix issues. Smiths should learn and give their teams the time required to do the job properly and it should not be down to the customer to 'project manage' them.
They have always been competitive on price - you should be prepared to negotiate and you will get a good price

I had a conservatory fitted 14 years ago and had minimal problems, at that time the minor snags were addressed quickly and efficiently
I had front windows and front door fitted 5 years ago and needed follow up visits to resolve some issues. The lead time to get a visit was a few weeks each time, but they addressed most of the issues eventually. We still have a whistling when windy through one window that they cannot identify or fix... so I've had to live with it

Now to my latest experience; I had rear windows and doors, Fascia, Soffit's and Guttering for the whole house and some Cladding fitted at the end of 2017. Again the job was completed well but the various teams needed monitoring and lots of things highlighted to be corrected during the work e.g. scratches of some glass units, chips in some frames, making good around frames etc. The snag list at the end was also large and Smiths pushed for their final payment assuring me everything would be fixed. Take my advice and withhold a sensible sum until snagging is complete. I did this and after two visits (arranged quickly due I'm certain due to the fact I withheld money) the issues were corrected. However, Smiths demanded the withheld amount immediately and I refused as it was getting dark and I was unable to fully inspect all the fixes. Smiths took payment from my card without my authority, or my final sign off that the work had been completed. They were then unable to explain how they had held my payment details 'securely' and treated me with total contempt when I challenged them, referring to the 'agreement' (which I've inspected and find no reference to them being able to store debit card payment details or take an unauthorized payment prior to the work being signed off)
The final straw with Smiths 'after sales service' was two months ago when I called them to request a service call as we had some trim on cladding come loose, one window that needed adjustment as it would not close properly, one patio door that would not lock easily and one window with a whistling noise when windy (remember earlier in the review this same issue occurred on another window installed a number of years earlier!).
I was told that I could not log a service call by phone, you now need to go onto a web page. This I did, and after 2-3 days, I received an email requesting photos of the issues! After some email exchanges I then got an appointment time...The first available appointment was 7 WEEKS away..(and took place today) a disappointing length of time to wait and no apology from Smiths as this is 'the norm' apparently. I requested an afternoon visit as cannot make mornings and this was noted. I received a call yesterday to tell me I would be the first visit of the day 08.00 am. When I restated the original request for an afternoon I was told 'it's the way it is unfortunately and the way the planning goes'
The fitter arrived this morning, on time, but advised that he had been told that as I'd not provided photos of some of the issues he would only be able to address the windows and door!!.. no mention of this during the phone call yesterday! So another 7 Week wait then!
Ending on a positive; the fitter today was excellent and addressed all the issues, he was methodical and took the necessary time required. Smiths need to keep people like him otherwise they will continue to lose loyal customers and lose new business due to poor reviews.

Only use this company if you are prepared, and able, to check and double check the work, are savvy and withhold a percentage of final payment if you are not happy... and hope you never need any after sales service from Smiths..