Atrocious customer service

Guest's review of Sykes Cottages www.sykescottages.co.uk

“Atrocious customer service”

Written on: 24/08/2021

Terrible service!

Booked a last minute cottage in Scotland for a week, contacted the owner following morning to ask for postcode & key pick up details, was given details for that. An hour later I got contacted by owner, not Sykes, by text!, to be told they were actually double booked & won't honour the booking, which we were travelling 8 hours to in less than 24hrs later!

The landlady at least had the courtesy to contact me to tell me, albeit with no apology or sympathy offered, and told me Sykes were contacting me asap. The call from them never materialised. I had to call to chase up - no explanation, no apology offered & the phone was hung up on me halfway through the conversation. This is all in the middle a very busy working day for me.

Having managed to get a 5min break, I called again an hour later to be spoken to by another laidback, carefree staff member, again zero apology offered, to be told basically tough luck, we can send you a couple of links to other cottages & you should be grateful we're doing that too. Both were unsuitable & more expensive. Not even the offer of making up the diffrence in cost by Sykes considering it was their error.

Eventually, my wife had to take over, was passed from one person to another (we both lost count to how many diffrent people we'd spoken to by then), who told her of another option & was promised it will be reserved till we come back with an answer, when she did call back shortly after, she was told it was gone (remeber, this was especially put on hold for us till we gave an answer back!!)

The whole family, in particular the kids, were genuinly looking forward to the trip. It was the first and now the last time we'll even look at Sykes' website, let alone book with them. A few lessons & some training need to be given to the staff on how to at least pretend to be sympathetic to their customers when they make a complete mess of a simple booking then leave it to the customer to contact the perpetrator to resolve. Imagine if the landlady never bothered texting back & left it in Sykes' hands to contact me. We'd have been halfway up to Scotland by the time Sykes bothered ringing.

A piece of advice to Sykes, learn some customer service skills, realise it's your job not the cutomer to sort out your own mess, offer a genuine apology or two & then go out of your way to make the customer feel compensated for your error by going the extra mile to sort & maybe offer a little compensation as a form of courtesy when you get things wrong.

Absolute shambles. Looking forward to the fun of trying to get a refund out of them now!!