A trip back in time

• Build quality

• Reliability

mikebikekite's review of Royal Enfield Classic 500

“A trip back in time”

Written on: 13/06/2019 by mikebikekite (4 reviews written)

I wanted something completely different that the kids wouldn't try to steal. I didn't want something fast as A) I'll crash and B) it'll get stolen. For a laugh I took a Classic 500 out for a test ride. the BS3 model has scary brakes but the BS4 version's were fine. All Enfields are slow but you expect that, mine feels happy at around 55mph but it feels cruel above that. Economy is brilliant at over 80mpg. I've had mine a year now and it's been quite reliable.

Bad points include tubed tyres which means fixing a flat is very difficult without a garage but then all spoked wheeled bikes are the same. There's no inbuilt storage for things like a lock. It does vibrate more than other bikes which means things like bulbs etc will probably have a short life. Motorways aren't really viable. Did I mention it's slow? Mine has the matt finish which is lovely to look at but I'm not sure how the paint work and chrome will last if kept outside. I keep mine in a garage but ride it nearly every day, I've only washed it once in the past year yet it still looks great.

Good points: if you always wanted a classic bike but was afraid of having to upkeep it then this is the answer. It has electric start but I always use the kick starter because it makes me feel like Marlon Brando in the mornings. Every ride on the bike is an occasion to look forward to. It attracts a huge amount of attention from absolutely everyone. Also, because it's so slow, you end up not racing anyone and instead just sit back and enjoy the ride. The price of the bike was also a good point.

I use mine for commuting and pleasure but I have other bikes for when it's raining. As a 2nd bike that can be kept in a garage then it's almost perfect. It's never going to be Honda reliability but it's better than I expected.

• 2018