Aviva Horror Story

Amelie274's review of Aviva Car Insurance

“Aviva Horror Story”

Written on: 07/03/2019 by Amelie274 (1 review written)

For anyone that has auto insurance from Aviva Canada I strongly suggest you find a new provider and for anyone who is contemplating using them for insurance to stay well clear of them.
They are a horror story and only want your money and will find any excuse to avoid payouts.
Here is my horror story.
I have had them for over 10 years as my auto insurance provider and dutifully paid the premiums on time, every time, even when I heard others had cheaper premiums with other companies.
Stupid me.
On July 2018 I was involved in an auto collision. The other driver was at fault and was charged with careless driving by the police officer. It was my bad luck that he also had Aviva insurance. I reported the accident in same day. Aviva quickly wrote off the vehicle, even though the damage did not seem that extensive, and low balled me on the payout. Less than half of what I paid 2 years prior. I argued that I had done some major repair work on it 6 months prior and should be at least partially compensated for that as well. According to Aviva that is apparently where I committed a sin. It seems we cannot question been them. After 1 months of no definitive answers from them, in frustration I cancelled my multiple auto and property policies with Aviva. They lost a total of $6,600 annual premiums because of their unprofessional approach. And really for a mere $12,000 claim. That appeared to have been my second mistake. I believe that they thought it was now payback for cancelling my policies.
They took over 6 months to make a case that the work was not done as detailed in the receipts I provided. They put me through a phone and an in-person interrogation (the gestapo could not have done a better job). The end result was that they declined my claim including the car rental I used for 1 week after the accident. While it may be true that the auto shop cheated me on the work done in the bills they should have simply declined the receipts and maintained their original offer, low as it was. Talk about adding salt to a wound.
I have now retained a lawyer and proceeding with legal action against Aviva.
Stay away from this company.

Have you made a Claim

• Auto Renewed

Reason for going with this company

• Comprehensive