Be aware if you prefer to pay in cash.

Sofia Airport (Arrivals Hall); Varna Airport (Arrivals Hall), Burgas Airport (Arrivals Hall); Plovdiv, Sozopol, Nessabar

MGenov's review of Top Rent A Car Bulgaria - www.toprentacar.bg

“Be aware if you prefer to pay in cash. ”

Written on: 13/09/2020 by MGenov (1 review written)

This is the third year in a row I hire a car from Toprentacar. Haven't experienced problems with the cars themselves, but the service can be improved, especially this year.
Since I paid the rental cost in cash, the officer at the desk in Terminal 2 (Sofia Airport) didn't have change, so I agreed that the small amount (around 7.80 leva) be returned to me when I return the car, along with the cash (600 lv) which I left as deposit. It is another question why should this "deposit" be required, given that the entire rental fee, plus the insurance fees are required to be paid upfront.

After calling the company to make sure that it was possible, I returned the car on the evening, before the day it was due to be returned. Had to wait 20 min, before somebody (a manager?) came to bring my deposit of 600 lv; however they didn't bring the 7.8 leva change I was also due. The manager asked the front-line officer who was checking the returned car to give me the change from his money. The officer gave me 10 lv and I gave him back 2 lv, but when I mentioned that I am due 20 stotinki, the manager got angry, presumably because for him 20 stotinki is a small change. My point was that it was not the amount, but a matter of principle and a good business practice to give exact change. If Toprenatcar do not like dealing with cash, they have to state that explicitly.

The hot spot (mobile router) which I hired had a mind of his own. It would work for some days, then would stop for a couple of days and so on. Think twice if you plan to stay somewhere remote and rely on it.

• August 2020

Date of hire (month/year)

• Bulgaria, Sofia

Country & City of hire

• Good

Condition of vehicle

Toprentacar's Response to MGenov's Review

Written on: 18/09/2020

Thank you for your detailed review!

We will further investigate that case, and do our best to improve on this, we will speak with the employees on the spot, and take necessary actions to avoid this to happen again!

In regards to the deposit, it is required and is a separate part than the payment for the rent itself, its a guarantee for both sides.

For the hot spot, it really matters, on how strong the service is, there are still locations in Bulgaria, where there is poor signal coverage and the router does not work well in those regions.

We are sorry for the inconveniences that have occurred and we hope that the next time you rent a vehicle we will be able to provide the Best service to you!

Kind Regards