GoldCar Rental - www.goldcar.es Review

Guest's review of GoldCar Rental - www.goldcar.es

“I booked a Goldcar hire-car, through Doyouspain and...”

Written on: 31/07/2018

I booked a Goldcar hire-car, through Doyouspain and bought excess insurance with Zurich. When I tried to collect the car, the counter staff totally refused to let me have the car until I paid an additional E91.98 for insurance I did not want. I argued at length with the staff and explained that I had sufficient insurance for my needs. Similar arguments were going on at adjacent counter positions. Finally, I had to pay because I would have been stranded without transport at the airport. I have demanded my money back from Goldcar and from Doyouspain but both companies just ignore my requests. Best stay away from both and hire a car from a reputable company such as Hertz!

• 1 week

Date of hire (month/year)

• Spain Alicante

Country & City of hire

• Average

Condition of vehicle

• Average

Choice of vehicles

Bassnick's Comment

Written on: 06/08/2018

Had a similar experience with at Jerez airport first week in July except in my case the Goldcar representative put through a payment of 149 euros for insurance whilst telling me it was a deposit on a full tank of fuel and would not be taken if the car was returned full. She even went to the extent of pointing out the deposit on the agreement form whilst at the same time hiding the added insurance with her hand.
The bottom line with Goldcar is that unless you buy insurance with them (it's twice the price of UK bought) they will hassle you or use deception - I'd recommend having your wits about you when dealing with them, alternatively, use a different company.
I have raised a complaint with HolidayAutos and they are looking into it - there is so much bad press around regarding Goldcar that the 3rd party firms like HolidayAutos really need to take a firm line with Goldcar because otherwise they are condoning these practices.