Firefly Car Rental Review

Abelx483's review of Firefly Car Rental

“ALICANTE AIRPORT The 1st rental car that they gave us...”

Written on: 23/09/2020 by Abelx483 (1 review written)

ALICANTE AIRPORT

The 1st rental car that they gave us had scratches / bumps / and the central locking system was not working- none of this was noted down on the inventory sheet. so we handed the keys back and asked for another car, the 2nd car also had scratches all over it and yet again these were not noted. it was 12am and they were now closed - we had a 2 hour drive so we carried on.

3 days after we handed the car back - firefly have taken money from my credit card without any communication as to why, we are unable to retrieve a statement from them from their website, we are clueless to why this lump sum has been taken from my account, we now have to wait 10 working days for them to get in contact as there is no number to call.

Ryanair state that this money taken was insurance that firefly took from my account 3 days after handing the car back and that it wasn't their responsibity to sort out.

I have now started a charge back with my credit card and cancelled my credit card in fear of them taking more money.

The Payment seems to be for additional car insurance with the car hire company FIRFLY. A cost that Ryanair have since told me was optional but we were not given the option at the time of collection. It was not explained to me that this was an option or that we would be charged additional money. We had already paid RYANAIR the rental car cost and insurance cover on the 21st August 2020 when pre-booking the car. Why would I agree to another additional insurance cost with firefly if I had already bought insurance cover? We questioned the person on the desk at the time of pick up of the car, we asked them to make it clear to us that there was definitely no other charges as we had already paid the hire car cost and insurance - he said no there was no other charges. We were concerned about some of the figures in the right hand corner that was titled estimated charges - as this didn't make sense to us - the man assured us that there was nothing else to pay and he made it out that this was a holding fee on my card NOT AN ADDITIONAL INSURANCE OPTION. He didn't ask us if we wanted additional insurance he disguised it as a holding fee that would be put back onto the card. We were not made aware about any options for additional insurance or that we would be charged it or could opt out of this on the document. IT WAS A PRE-PRINTED FORM! We had already paid for hire car insurance with Ryanair (Which can be seen on my statement and firefly was aware of this) It should also be highlighted that this charge of £332.78 was also not made until after we returned the car and left the country - This equating to 20 days after we picked the car up from Firefly. How can insurance be charged after the event? We have since found whilst looking on trustpilot.com that this is a regular occurring situation and that Firefly have done this to hundreds of their customers by charging credit cards after the event for insurance they didn't agree to

• 25/08/2020

Date of hire (month/year)

• Alicante Spain