Price Not Guaranteed

• Customer service

OrangeReaper's review of Nationwide Car Sales - www.nationwide-cars.co.uk

“Price Not Guaranteed”

Written on: 07/05/2017 by OrangeReaper (1 review written)

I bought a Toyota CH-R Hybrid from Nationwide. It was important that the car was registered to me before the new car tax rules took effect.

I was concerned that the price offered was too good to be true and, in the end, in my case, the discount was withdrawn on the day before I was expecting to take delivery of the car. I had to pay full price.

Nationwide politely explained to me that this was because their supplier had withdrawn their discount (so they had to pass this on to me). I was left with the choice to withdraw (and lose the zero rate road tax advantage) or pay the "going rate".

I ended up paying the difference and taking the vehicle. I had sold my other car and it was the only way to ensure I got the tax advantage at that late stage.

Notwithstanding that I paid the difference on the day I was told of the price increase, Delivery had to be re-arranged. In other words, They changed things, I paid paid more money and had to wait longer for a car they had already confirmed was at their supplier premises. What a let down! Nationwide were very apologetic but did not deliver what they had promised (viz-a-viz price and delivery).

From a Customer service point of view, in my case, Nationwide needed to be 'pushed' to keep things moving. In other words I rang them, more than they rang me. The actual delivery of the vehicle went very well (once a final date was agreed). I was phoned by the driver, the day before, to arrange the delivery time. The delivery time agreed was kept.

In my judgement Nationwide are not in complete control of the purchase. They are heavily dependent on their suppliers (for everything). In my opinion these suppliers can (and did, in my case) withdraw discounts previously promised and they are in control of the delivery date.

I researched the company prior to entering into a contract with them including reading the reviews on this site, and, in spite of this, there was always a nagging worry. I was sending a lot of money to someone I had never met and this is not quite the same as paying the balance in a showroom then driving the car away. The compelling reason I went with Nationwide was the significant discount they offered (but they were unable to deliver on this, the way things worked out I could have bought the same car, at the same time, as the same price from any dealer without the stress involved).

It's unlikely that I would use Nationwide again without some assurance that the price offered at the outset was guaranteed. It is quite clear on their website that the prices offered when entering into a contract are not guaranteed. Also the purchaser has NO RIGHT TO CANCEL the order unless any increase in price is greater than 5 per cent of the originally quoted price.

• Customer service

Nationwidecars's Response to OrangeReaper's Review

Written on: 10/05/2017

Dear Mr Bond,

We would like to thank you for taking the time in leaving your review. On behalf of Nationwide Cars we would like to apologise for inconvenience caused when purchasing your new vehicle.

In light of your comments, we fully understand your frustrations with the changes that occurred and in total transparency, we rely on the manufacturers to supply us with their discounts and services. Unfortunately the manufacturers have the legal right to change or revoke their discounts if they see fit to do so.

Naturally we cannot absorb all these changes and we will always try to help where and when possible, hence our terms and conditions reflect those of the manufacturers.

As a long established family business, we work closely with our suppliers but ultimately rely on the information and products as supplied by the manufacturers. Where we try minimise any changes to quotes provided or offers made, on rare occasions this can happen as explained above at the mercy of the manufacturers who control the pricing and the overall service.

We would like to thank you again for using Nationwide Cars and we hope to hear from you again in the future.

Nationwidecars's Response to OrangeReaper's Review