Award Winning Customer Service - My R'S

• Reliability

• Speed Consistency

Novak.N.Goode's review of PlusNet Broadband www.plus.net

“Award Winning Customer Service - My R'S”

Written on: 25/08/2022 by Novak.N.Goode (14 reviews written)

I have been with PlusNet for well over a decade.
Early on, support was easy to get and the staff were very interested, helpful and competent.
Support has deteriorated rapidly and has become almost unusable.
Unless you want to wait for ages on the phone, there is no easy way of contacting them.
Chat is often not available, if you can find it, on what is a very poor website.
It is possible to raise a complaint ticket from the web site, but again it's very well hidden.
Email is not an option and if you contact a known support person by email, you get berated for not playing to their rules.
Having said that, when you do manage to raise a complaint ticket, as I did regarding being charged for calls which I did not make, PlusNet were only interested in trying to ensure that they did not have to re-imburse or compensate me rather than actually trying to find out what had happened and fixing it :-
On 16 August, I was billed for a big call supposedly made from my landline on August 10, but no such call had been made.
Neither did I recognise the receiving number.
I am in Kenya with my wife where we have been since the end of June.
We left our house with all phones disconnected and batteries removed.
All doors and windows were shut and locked.
We have the only keys to the house with us, and have never given the keys to anyone , ever.
When we received the bill it caused us a great deal of stress, as the most likely explanation which we could think of was that the house had been broken into.
I had to make two international rate mobile phone calls to my friend who then drove to my house to check that all was OK.
The property was as we left it, everything locked and intact.
I asked PlusNet for an explanation, refund and compensation for the calls, lack of service, hassle and stress it had caused us.
Their only concern was to ensure by any means, fair or foul, that they and/or their agents were not at fault, that the problem was mine and that I had to pay what was billed.
They did no investigation at all.
Eventually, it was I, not they, who found out that BT had moved a telegraph pole and messed up the whole area.(by ringing my home number I got a neighbour) My number then being at a neighbour's house.
I informed them of this, but they still did nothing.
I asked them to take it up with BT, or even phone my number and talk to the neighbour to confirm what I was telling them, but neither were done. They made two "offers", which they claimed was goodwill, and I quote :-
1 "As a gesture of goodwill, I have offered to cover the call charge with a credit as a one-off but would be unable to offer this should any future calls be disputed." In other words, any further incorrect calls would be charged and I could not challenge them"....their idea of goodwill and fairness.
2 "We are able to send an engineer out fairly quickly (usually within 48 hours) to rectify this matter however the engineer would need to gain access to your property if it is reported on your line."
What an offer to make when they knew I was in Kenya and the house was locked.
It is beyond me why the engineer needs to get into my house.
They took it apart and re-built it from outside at the pole, so surely they could correct it from the outside at the pole too.
PlusNet still take the attitude that I must prove 100% that there is/was a fault, but of course, there is a very high probability that BT will have sorted out the mess before I return, so then they would pay no re-imbursement for my international calls, the wrong calls nor compensation for the hassle they have caused.
They wrote "We are not trying to be difficult, however as I am sure you can understand, we have to verify any claims by first checking the fault exists and then that the matter is resolved. If we did not check each claim anyone could make any claim they wish for compensation and if we were not able to investigate we would soon be out of business."
This is piffle.
I am asking for about £20, they will lose me as a customer which will cost them thousands.
Losing loyal customers is how to go out of business.
PlusNet must have very strong contacts with BT. (All parties involved in creating this issue are part of the BT Group)
A simple phone call to BT would have proven that there were several faults at that post.
They prefer to sit tight and do absolutely nothing but wait and hope BT sort it all out before I return. (the neighbour had reported that she has my line to BT and there will be a fault log.)
They contradicted themselves when they wrote finally :- "You are absolutely right, the probability of the fault still being apparent by the time you return home is very low".
Faults such as this do not just go away.
So how can that statement sit with their insistance that an engineer must have access inside my house to fix the fault.
If BT have fixed the fault, then an engineer visit to my home after that will conclude that there is no fault and there has never been a fault and they will refuse any re-imbursement.
I have written to the BT CEO, but unsurprisingly, received no response.
It is sad to see what was an excellent company go to the dogs.
I can no longer recommend PlusNet and will be moving to a new supplier shortly.
It's worth paying a termination fee to get away from PlusNet.
Better the devil you don't know!

• Reliability