I am terribly upset

From 1 review

LinaF's review of Elmtree - www.elmtreepethotel.co.uk

“I am terribly upset”

Written on: 18/09/2015 by LinaF (0 reviews written)

I am that kind of woman who regards her dog as a baby. My dog is Chanel. Chanel is a beautiful white Maltese terrier.

On Friday 3 July 2015 Chanel went to the Elmtree Luxury Pet Hotel while I went on my Summer holiday. Chanel had been there a few times before. I had researched reviews on the internet and comments on Elmtree were positive.
Its website looked lovely. I inspected Elmtree Luxury Pet Hotel before making the booking for her first stay.

On Wednesday 8 July 2015 Chanel had to be taken to the Vets she had sore eyes and they seem to be itching her. The Vet advised that Chanel had a long term illness with her eye that would require eye drops for life.
The Vet prescribed eye lubricant and steriod eye drops. The long term eye drops would need discussed with the owner. Elmtree Luxury Pet Hotel decided not contact me the owner and just to wait.

For 13 days from Thursday 9 July 2015 till Wednesday 22 July 2015 the Elmtree Luxury Pet Hotel kennel report says that Chanel’s eyes were responding well to treatment but are still uncomfortable for her. This is two weeks of not seeing a Vet and having irritable eyes. What would you feel if you had been left for two weeks with a sore eye including the middle of the night pain? I could not cope for one hour!

On Tuesday 14 July 2015 I contacted Elmtree Luxury Pet Hotel to ask how Chanel is. Is she eating well, is she okay and well. Elmtree Luxury Pet Hotel responded on Wednesday 15 July 2015 that they had spoken to the staff and they have said that Chanel is doing just fine. This is at a time when her eye was uncomfortable for her. BUT Elmtree said in their letter to me that it is the policy of Elmtree Luxury Pet Hotel not to contact clients or worry them on their holiday! On the afternoon of Thursday 23 July 2015 the right eye of Chanel looked so sore that the kennel thought she may need to go back to the Vet on the morning of 24 July Friday 2015. It was that urgent it was the next day.
On Friday 24 July 2015 Chanel was taken to the Vet as she was not comfortable and her eye was causing her problems. Chanel had been scratching and rubbing her eye and the eye was sore.
The Vet decided that this was sufficiently serious that Chanel had to stay at the Vet over the weekend and she was fitted with a buster collar.

Elmtree Luxury Pet Hotel did NOT contact me to tell me that Chanel was sufficiently ill that the Vet was keeping her for treatment.

On afternoon of Monday 27 July 2015 I called Elmtree Luxury Pet Hotel to arrange payment of kennel fees and collection of Chanel on Tuesday 28 July 2015. THEN the Manager tells me that Chanel has eye ulcers and is being kept at the Vet!

Cost of the final weekend treatment by the Vet was £788.74. This level of vet’s fees over a 3 day period would indicate a serious treatment programme but it is the policy of Elmtree Luxury Pet Hotel not to notify owners as it might worry them on holiday.

Departure date 28 July 2015.

Boarding fee £780
Vet’s fees £917.15

Elmtree Luxury Pet Hotel had both my mobile phone number and my email address and mobile phone contact details for my friend who was in London.

Why did the kennel not contact me when they initially took Chanel to the vet for eye treatment. The Manager wrote to me and said that it is generally the policy of Elmtree Luxury Pet Hotel not to disturb owners whilst they are on holiday if the problem can be dealt with without disturbing the owner.

He wrote that if there was anything that required the kennel to contact an owner immediately then they would not hesitate to do so.

Should any animal require treatment, the management of Elmtree Luxury Pet Hotel reserve the right to call a vetinary surgeon and act upon his advice.

Elmtree Luxury Pet Hotel wrote to me afterwards and said it would never want any of the clients to worry unnecessarily whilst on holiday.

BUT I was told by receptionist on 15 July Wednesday that Chanel was doing fine, eating well and playing with her friends.

They said that there was never any reason to worry me about anything .

The vet prescribed a lubrication eye drop and Maxitrol.

The kennel said that they noticed her eye troubles very quickly and responded to it immediately.

The manager kept a very close check on Chanel. BUT never told me.

One week after leaving Elmtree Luxury Pet Hotel Chanel had her eye operation and is now BLIND in her right eye.

But do not worry as it is Elmtree Luxury Pet Hotel policy not to unnecessarily worry clients whilst they are on holiday.

If I were you and love your dog as much as I do I would NEVER EVER again leave Chanel in this ‘luxury’ place. My poor dog and I went through horrible experience and I cannot describe in words how upset and tearful I was during this time.