POOR WEDDING SERVICE!!

• Venue

• Food

LWells89's review of Shrigley Hall, Cheshire

“POOR WEDDING SERVICE!!”

Written on: 21/11/2017 by LWells89 (1 review written)

I'll start with the day I chose Shrigley Hall as our wedding venue. On first look around the hotel eighteen months prior to the day, I was taken aback with the stunning buildings and beautiful surroundings (this is what I have rated the 1 star for) and decided it would be the perfect look for our wedding day! I spent the next year and a half liaising with our designated wedding planner who was supposed to oversee all our plans and make sure everything ran smoothly. Unfortunately for us this did not happen! The person I dealt with did not attend our wedding day! Instead she typed up a function sheet that was supposed to be read by the staff who ran our big day.
It was quite clear to us on the day and after that this had not been done and there was multiple failings in providing the service we had paid a small fortune to receive! The disorganisation and lack of respect for my property was unbelievable. The night before the wedding I was returning back to my room at approximately 10pm ready to have a bath, relax and enjoy the rest of my evening. On the return to my room, to my horror I found at least two of my empty, eaten chocolate favour wrappers discarded on a landing shelf. I immediately approached staff and asked where my favours were, nobody in the wedding team could find the favours and as you can imagine the long wait time (30 mins) to find them was extremely stressful. When they were found at least 6 were missing. It was clear to me that guests had had access to my favours and ate them! After all why would staff leave the evidence lying around on a landing shelf for all to see? This was just the tip of the iceberg in terms of thing going missing! The cake knife which we borrowed from a family member, which they had used at their wedding, has been lost by the Hotel! We had sticky labelled everything! We have been advised the knife can be replaced, but the sentimental value that it held for us and the family member we borrowed it from cannot be replaced :(
I had specifically asked for everything we had paid for to be saved which included flowers, cheese, sweets and chocolates. I had stated this to the wedding planner on numerous occasions. I had also asked that specific parts of the cake be saved. The morning after the wedding on check out we was told none of the cake had been saved! I was persistent in saying there definitely should of been cake saved as I knew all of it hadn't been served the night before. After another lengthy, stressful wait we was told the cake had been found in a meeting room. None of the sections of cake I had asked to be saved had been saved and none of the fruit cake had been served to our guests like I had asked. Some of our evening guests had been looking forward to having fruit cake and it was disappointing to say the least! None of my leftover chocolate favours were returned to me the next day nor was the cheese. Half of the flowers had been left for the florist to take away the next morning with the things that belonged to her which resulted in a wild-goose chase across Cheshire to get them back the day after our wedding! The other half had been left in a different meeting room. It begs the question, why wasn't our stuff kept all together and safe? One of my sweet jars was smashed and the housekeeper that moved all our belongings into the honeymoon suite thrown away a bag of empty headdress boxes which I needed back to store them in.
The most heartbreaking thing for me was on the day of the wedding. I had planned to walk down the aisle to a song that I wanted fading out after the first 1 minute, 30 seconds. I had planned for my bridesmaids to walk down before me as I wanted to walk to certain words being sung at that point in the song. I had timed it perfectly for my maid of honour to walk first, my flower girl to walk second and myself last giving us all 30 seconds to get to the front. My music started to play and I kept asking my Maid of Honour to walk. For some bizarre reason the toastmaster was ignoring me and was telling her not to and to wait! I still don't understand how this happened as my guests had already been told to stand to welcome me and my music was already playing! It ended up I walked down the aisle to the very end part of the song which I hadn't even wanted in the service. I knew the song was coming to an end quickly so I had to walk that fast i think my guests thought i was about to break into a run just to make it down the aisle in time before the song finished! To ANY bride this is one of the most important parts of the day and I still can't come to terms with how wrong it went. I think it is much more important for a bride to feel comfortable, stress free and happy walking down the aisle not rushed and annoyed. How dare somebody stop us from walking, I was the bride! I would have much rather stood and waited at the front for the registrar to be ready (this is the excuse the Hotel have come up with) than to have to nearly break into a run coming down the aisle because we were told not to walk! Devastating!
At the wedding breakfast we had paid for champagne toasts. When it came to the toasts the staff served Cava! My mother in law noticed and made me aware of this, otherwise it may have gone unnoticed by me and my new husband as we were so busy chatting to guests and trying to enjoy the day as best we could after what just happened. We made the staff aware of this issue and the champagne was eventually served. I wonder how many other weddings they have done this to and people have not noticed? Very underhand!! My mother in law also repeatedly asked for fruit bread which was missing from the cheese boards. It was clearly typed on the table menu’s which were on every table. It was paid for at an additional cost to the package we had purchased and the hotel had over twelve months to source some however, the fruit bread was never served and guests requests were ignored. We was never refunded for the fruit bread. The hotel manager has gone to extreme lengths to try and cover this up even insinuating I have read the menu’s wrong and that it was fruit and bread to be served not fruit bread!! He then went on to say both fruit and bread had been served on the day which is untrue!
I always imagined our wedding day to be the most perfect day. Unfortunately thanks to Shrigley Hall I cannot say it was that! We paid a lot of money to make sure we had what we thought was our dream wedding. Due to disorganisation, lack of responsibility and staff failing to coordinate things did not run smoothly and has left me feeling extremely disheartened with certain parts of the day. I think the wedding planner should have been there on the day of the wedding considering all my planning had been done with her, I think a lot of what went wrong happened because my Function sheet was not read by the people who were running the day. If she had have been there she would've known exactly what I wanted as we had discussed it many times. As a customer I put my trust in the Hotel for what was supposed to be the best day of my life. I have recently been offered as compensation a nights stay in the Hotel, with evening meal and Breakfast included. Me and my husband are insulted at being offered this, especially when I received an email showing the same package plus a bottle of prosecco for £99! The things that they lost of ours and the things that we'd paid for and not returned equate to more than that alone and why should I have to spend my compensation with them? To be quite frank, I never want to visit the hotel again! How the manager truly believes his offer compensates us for the mistakes and errors we paid so much for not to have happened is unbelievable?! The hotel have been completely dismissive of all the mistakes they have made and have shown us no responsibility what-so-ever. The hotel manager has told us the hotel take no responsibility for the Bride & Grooms belongings when they are in their care such as the cake knife, favours and so on, so basically they can just do as they please with your things! We were married on 3rd September 2017 and it has taken over two months now with no acceptable outcome! Be warned!!

• 3/9/17