PAY TWICE FOR SAME EUROSTAR TICKET!!!

• Reliability

• Cleanliness

ruthmunby's review of Eurostar

“PAY TWICE FOR SAME EUROSTAR TICKET!!!”

Written on: 23/10/2017 by ruthmunby (1 review written)

On 28 September I booked return tickets to Paris for myself friends for a holiday 16 to 19 November. I believed that one friend had reverted from her married name to her maiden name. However the name she uses is actually her professional name she was given many years ago when she was a member of Equity, the actors' trade union.
When I promptly contacted Eurostar to ask for the name on her ticket to be changed to her married name, as per her passport they said I would have to buy a new ticket and could not have a refund on the old ones.
They said the ticket has to be used by the person whose name it was issued in. I pointed out my friend uses both names. They would have allowed her to travel if she could have produced her marriage certificate showing both names. I pointed out the certificate would not help as her maiden name is completely different.
I emailed to them copies of Inland Revenue documents giving both names and which also gave the same National Insurance number for both names, proving they relate to the same person. I also offered to obtain a formal legal Statutory Declaration dealing with the issue of the two names.
None of my emails were answered and I had to chase up by Live Chat. Even when I telephoned the Help Centre they were unhelpful.
It is so unfair they will not cancel the ticket in the non-passport name and also say I will have to book again. When I first looked on the website for availability I booked the last 6 tickets for the time we wanted (had that not been the case I would have checked passport details) so my friend would not be able to travel with the rest of us. Also, the unused seat may well go to waste.
I expected I might have to pay an admin fee because of the name discrepancy but this is so unreasonable. When I politely pointed this out the person I spoke to suggested I emailed the Help Centre. What is the point of that when emails aren't answered.

• Train

Bus / Train

• Reliability

Ruthmunby's Response to ruthmunby's Review

Written on: 24/10/2017

I am pleased to give an update on this to say the office of the chief executive of Eurostar has now responded to my email and has cancelled the ticket in my friend's non-passport name and issued a new one in the name on her passport at no extra cost to me.
Just shows it is worth persevering and complaining to the top person!