Old Friends re-united

• Build quality

• Reliability

jfro5867's review of BMW R850R

“Old Friends re-united”

Written on: 20/03/2013 by jfro5867 (2 reviews written)

Hi, I have been riding bikes for over 20 years now and have owned all sorts from Harleys to Hayabusas and what I haven't owned I've probably ridden. Anyhow, about 10 years ago I had an R850R, I did about 18000 on it and really loved it but of course sold it. Of late I have lost my way a bit and seriously thought about giving motorbikes up for good because of all the speed cameras, idiots on the road, modern bikes being really un DIY friendly and wondered what I wanted from a bike IN THE REAL WORLD, not journo world. I could have got anything but out of them all you know I've chosen to get another 850, I found a gorgeous low mileage 2001 Black Classic with wire wheels and its now in my garage ready for the spring. Why the 850 then you might ask...well its the outstanding quality, the comfort, the fact you know you can do 100,000 miles on them (even though thats unlikely) and still they keep going (how many other bikes can do that?), they do an effortless 80mph which is plenty quick AND they are an absolute delight to service yourself, which really helps you to bond with your machine. I have put a Remus can on it (like my last one) and it sounds gorgeous and lets it breathe. Other than that its bog standard. I cannot recommend them highly enough as long as you know and are honest with yourself that you don't want a sportsbike.

• 2001

Year Manufactured

• Build quality

• Reliability

Neil-England's Response to jfro5867's Review

Written on: 28/07/2014

Thanks for an enjoyable read, and after reading many others with positive vibes I've committed to a 2003 R850R which I'll pick up this week all being well.
Happy motoring!