Belvoir Lettings www.belvoirlettings.com Review

Emerald18's review of Belvoir Lettings www.belvoirlettings.com

“When I moved into my room, I was met with filth...”

Written on: 15/04/2018 by Emerald18 (1 review written)

When I moved into my room, I was met with filth smeared and sprayed all over the walls, carpet and curtains. Some brown like poo, others red like blood. My en-suite was completely blocked, with the sink filling up instantly and the smell of poo from its drain and a pump under the toilet. This pump constantly made extremely loud grinding noises when I used the sink, toilet and switched on the shower. I complained to Belvoir who refused to acknowledge the dirt and claimed the problems with the bathroom are normal. To top it off the “contractor” poured bleach down the drains after I told them unblocker I added wouldn’t go down, got stuck in the blockage in the pump and filled my room with chlorine fumes. So I was stuck with chlorine fumes again. Also I discovered later he had left a massive puddle of sewage in the carpet outside the bathroom and tried to wipe it with my toilet paper. Turns out 5 hours after they handed me the keys they had sent me an inventory report detailing all the filth I recorded, the photos being identical to mine, done nothing and sent it to me like I’ll be ok with it! One of the plug sockets would come out of the wall when I tried to use it and there are strains of a brown liquid which had poured through it, maybe from the shared bathroom behind it. Out of desperation I phoned their emergency plumbing no. on their tenant guide they gave me when I collected the keys and they told me they hadn’t worked for Belvoir for 5 years! When I complained to Belvoir about this, they didn’t acknowledge it. All this has been documented in the twitter page below.

I had no choice but to vacate the place after 5 days of moving in (and 2 sleepless nights there). I informed them when I had and got no response for 3 days until they got my keys via register post. They offered to readvertise the room and refund me the fees plus 1 ½ month rent by 6th April. Well that’s passed and I have received nothing. I also had to chase up the readvertisement 3 times. This only reinforces that I was right to leave and cancel my standing order. In their final response to the situation, they said it’s not uninhabitable as I can use the shared bathroom and it’s been professionally cleaned, as it’s just the walls and carpet which are dirty. I pointed out I’m paying more for en-suite, no acknowledgment. Their plan was quite clearly for me to live in someone else’s squalor while paying more for en-suite or for me to move out while they sit back and let the money roll in.

Also The front door key didn’t work and I had to be let in by tenants every day I was there. I phoned Belvoir twice to let me in, to which they were uninterested, putting me on hold for long periods and telling me someone will leave in ½ hour and refusing to send someone sooner, until a tenant would appear.

Dealing with Belvoir has been the worst experience of my life. They are arrogant towards tenants, don’t care (hence lack of acknowledgment) and try to fob you off, even if it means you can’t live somewhere, assuming the money will still come in. I’ve rented so many places and never been treated so badly. In fact a 2 year tenancy for an en-suite in a different city finished two weeks after I fled the Belvoir place and that other letting agent already have paid back my deposit. Belvoir still insists I’m a tenant yet I haven’t received a single update on any repairs they claimed they would do. I’m currently living in B&Bs while looking for another place and had a nervous breakdown a day after I vacated resulting in time off work. Belvoir has a derogatory view of tenants and their intelligence. Stay away from them.