Horrible buying experience

chrisglos's review of Mobile1 - www.mobile1.co.uk

“Horrible buying experience”

Written on: 16/09/2012 by chrisglos (1 review written)

My purchase : Open Box - Lenovo IdeaPad G770, New Intel® Core™ i7-2620M Processor, 17.3" HD+ Screen, Windows 7 Home Premium Edition 64-bit, 6GB DDR3 RAM, 750GB HDD, Blu-Ray, Dedicated AMD 6650M 2GB Graphics, M533KUK.

So I tried making the purchase after going through the spec of this machine with a fine tooth comb, I'm not in a position to drop £700 on a piece of kit that isn't fit for purpose.

The order process, I sign up, go to pay and cannot get pass the payment form, it says there is something I haven't filled out (there isn't) I make my first phone call to support who tell me politely that my browser (Chrome) isn't compatible with their website.

Great when a tech sales website doesn't support the most used browser on earth. So I go to login using IE, my password isn't recognised, I click reset my password receive the reset link and it logs me in automatically after a set my password to the same password I signed up with.

Make the order, order goes through fine. But I have now missed the Next day delivery time limit, I am annoyed.

I then receive an email "Unfortunately, there is an issue with your order you placed at Save On Laptops."

I phone them up, "We just need to go through a few security checks as your purchase was randomly chosen to check."...

Me : "Ok...."

The lady then proceeds to ask me a bunch of questions as part of the security check, "What is your address?","What sort of card did I use"

and finally... "What are the last four digits of your debit card".

Me : "My girlfriend has just gone out and has the debit card..."

Lady : "Ok well when she gets back give us a ring"

Me : "But I just put in those details as part of the purchase, if I was a fraudster I would have those details anyway? You are less security information than I was required to enter by the Barclaycard pin security at the end of my purchase?!"

Lady : "its just our random security check"

I then wait for my girlfriend to get back, ring back and give them the details for my order. Everything is fine.

Laptop arrives, everything looks beautiful, I immediately starting using it, wipe all the preloaded rubbish off and stick my new developer version of Windows 8 on it, I then go to type the @ sign and realise to my horror its a USA keyboard!

I phone them up, "The listing clearly stated that it was a USA keyboard and that was the reason it was in clearance."

Me : No the reason is in the title, "OPENED BOX".

Me : "I cannot find the item link online now have you taken it down?"

Them "Yes, I am looking at it though and it says USA keyboard"

I obviously have no way of confirming this without the listing, and I cannot return the laptop as I have wiped it and stuck my own OS on it! (a mistake I won't make twice).

I am 100% sure it did not say USA keyboard as I spent a whole day comparing the specs with other machines.

I then say I will see if they can be replaced and email their support if not. I emailed last Saturday and now 9 days have passed and I have had no response, only to ask if I would like to review their service.

To add insult to injury the day after the same laptop with UK keyboard appears in the non clearance section at the SAME PRICE.

I have since had Lenovo offer to replace the keyboard at their expense, they told me the serial number I had corresponded to a UK version of the laptop so there is no reason why there is a US keyboard.

Well annoyed. They could learn a lot from Lenovo in the customer service dept.

• Open Box - Lenovo IdeaPad G770, New Intel® Core™ i7-2620M Processor, 17.3" HD+ Screen, Windows 7 Home Premium Edition 64-bit, 6GB DDR3 RAM, 750GB HDD, Blu-Ray, Dedicated AMD 6650M 2GB Graphics - £699