Damaged my watch & sell damaged watches

cameronfraser's review of Watchfinder www.watchfinder.co.uk

“Damaged my watch & sell damaged watches”

Written on: 07/04/2017 by cameronfraser (1 review written)

I first sent my IWC Portuguese to Watchfinder.co.uk in November 2016 for a service. I received the watch in late December 2016 only to find dust on the dial and that the second hand was jumping and jolting, rather than smoothly sweeping as it did before Watchfinder's 'Head Watchmaker' serviced the watch.
I returned the watch to Watchfinder the same day, and I was informed that a Managing Director, would personally inspect my watch prior to dispatch.
The watch was returned to me in mid-January, however, this time all five of the hands were scratched, as well as several of the numerals and there was still dust and lint on the dial. After many phone calls, I eventually managed to speak to the Servicing Manager who requested that I return the watch so that they could attempt to repair the damage that they had caused. As you can imagine I was reluctant to send the watch back to Watchfinder for a third time, so instead, I agreed with The Servicing Manager that I would send it to IWC to have the damage repaired.
IWC had to replace the entire dial and all of the hands to restore the watch, which cost £240 for the parts alone.
Initially, the Servicing Manager refused to pay for the repairs stating that the damage to the dial and hands were caused by 'wear and tear' and not caused by Watchfinder. Only after threatening to take my case to the consumer ombudsman did he agree to reimburse me for the cost of the repairs.
In December 2016, before my IWC was returned to me, I purchased a Breitling Navitimer from Watchfinder, however, this watch had a misaligned dial which caused the sliding bezel to scrape across the dial and remove material from the dial.
Watchfinder were incredibly difficult about returning the watch, and I was told by The Customer Service Manager that I would have to pay £75 for return postage despite the watch being faulty. Eventually she did agree to reimburse me for the postage, however, it took several weeks for her to actually make the payment.
To my surprise, I found this exact watch for sale on Watchfinder's eBay store in March and the misaligned dial was clearly visible in the photographs.
I am sharing my experience now as my IWC has now been repaired by IWC and has been returned to me. I have had appalling experiences with Watchfinder. The customer service Watchfinder offer is disgraceful, their watchmakers are careless and even after alerting a Managing Director to the condition of the Breitling, Watchfinder were still happy to sell a faulty watch.

• £4000