My Ruark burned out & they blamed ME

DannyMerritt's review of Planetgizmo.co.uk www.planetgizmo.co.uk

“My Ruark burned out and they blamed ME”

Written on: 02/03/2015 by DannyMerritt (1 review written)

I bought a Ruark R4i music centre from Planet Gizmo. A few weeks later, playing the radio at everyday volume, the machine began to buzz loudly and smell of burning rubber then stopped working entirely. I complained to Ruark who initially tried to blame me for using the wrong power cable. I used the one supplied but they suggested I had switched it for one without a transformer and caused the problem myself. They said I should take it up with Planet Gizmo.

To begin with Planet Gizmo supported me against Ruark and got them to do a repair. I lugged the unit to the post office and sent it away. It came back a few weeks later and still didn't work properly. How frustrating. I had no radio - no music. I took it up again with Planet Gizmo who said I should go back to Ruark who said I should go back to Planet Gizmo. Shame on you both. Planet Gizmo then agreed to take it up with Ruark and I sent the unit back to them. They refunded my money but I am still pleading for them to refund my postage. They say I burned it out playing too loud and was lucky to have got my refund at all!!!! This simply is not the case. I listen to classical, or radio, and at very conservative volumes. I have always taken great care of my music centres.

Is it right that I should buy something in good faith, then be made to traipse to and from the post office, at my own expense, and have to argue with them about the fact that a unit i paid £569 for was faulty? I had no music for months.

I wouldn't touch either Planet Gizmo or Ruark ever again. Their customer service was rubbish.

• Goods purchased & cost