BMW now sounds better than it looks

Phil777's review of Huets - www.huets.com

“BMW now sounds better than it looks”

Written on: 07/11/2013 by Phil777 (8 reviews written)

I recently changed my car from an Audi with a factory fitted BOSE upgrade to a 2008 BMW 3 series convertible with professional satnav and sound. The car was great, except for one thing. Each time I turned the music on, the flat noise was a great disappointment. The sat nav was clunky and worse than my old tom tom. There was no bluetooth in it either. I couldn't believe that a car of this quality and value could have such a sub-standard audio system. I contacted BMW to organise a Bluetooth module to be retrofitted, but the cost was over the top. I knew of Huet's good reputation, and so took my car there.

Their staff listened to what I wanted, and came up with several solutions. I chose the one that was closest to my budget. I did not want a huge volume, just clarity and enough bass to hear. I also wanted DAB. They suggested changing the old iDrive head unit for the more modern CIC hard drive based one. This has DAB built in, with a much better Sat nav. They also fitted an aftermarket bluetooth unit, a lightweight 4 channel digital amp under the carpet of the boot, and an upgraded 3 way speaker system - powered mids and tweeters in the doors plus improved underseat subs.

You would not believe the difference this has made to the car. It sounds like a hifi system now, and not the short wave radio that I had before. The sound easily outstrips the Audi with its BOSE upgrade for clarity and quality. I can select DAB / FM / input easily from the steering wheel- with the station information telling me what is playing. The sat nav now works like a sat nav - with 3-d mapping and much easier to input destinations. The traffic detection is much better too. I found an added bonus of the new head unit is a built in hard drive to store music via usb. I've put over 100 albums in it so far - which are as easy to search as an iPOD. The newer 8 button iDrive CIC controller is a big improvement too.

The install looks like it came from the BMW factory - no gaffer tape holding up bits of wire, and everything hidden. Makes the car look like the 2012 version, but sounds much better.

I thought that the price was reasonable for such a complex job. Everything was tested and works well. Huets can get the complex coding done.

I would be happy to recommend'

• Sound quality