A Huge & Expensive Disappointment

AustinWE's review of David Wilson Homes www.dwh.co.uk

“A Huge & Expensive Disappointment ”

Written on: 13/03/2018 by AustinWE (1 review written)

I'll start by saying that our experience with buying a house from David Wilson Homes felt like we were handed the keys with one hand then punched in the gut with the other.

We purchased a 4 bed detached house on a David Wilson development in the East Midlands in March 2017.

This is my honest review 11 months and 14 days after buying our home, when we moved in we noticed several snags, normal things like doors not closing, toilet not flushing but constantly running, external door lock not working, crack in the patio door, clip in the stone kitchen flooring, different shades of kitchen units, turf laid directly over building waste, UPVC Patio door step broken and glued back on, bolt missing from the sprung-loaded garage door causing it to collapsed while I was under it, bad plastering
in 7 rooms that all required re-plastering, waterlogged garden, sealant missing from shower causes flooding on the flood, 4 walls on slops that were all well over the building regs tolerance, not one door frame was level on the first floor, kitchen door frame on a 1.5 inch slope, carpet laid in the hallway when we ordered stone flooring, rotten fence panels, plaster on some walls so thin you could see the plasterboard, and the shrinkage, not months later but there on the day we moved in, pin-pops, they had even painted over shrinkage to try and conceal it etc etc, sure we had the minor snags like paint splashes, bumps and indents in the plastering but we never complained about those things.

A few months after moving in I managed to get copies of the two QC inspections performed on my house post build and a copy of the
director's sign off, to my horror I found that all of the snags we had reported were listed in these inspections along with so many more,
worse still is that the Director signed off that all of these snags had been remedied, even things like water pressure and drainage
tests/checks hadn't been done,

At this point we've found 154 snags, almost all have since been remedied, DWH have been at our house to either inspect or repair on 73 days so far, forcing me to take 20+ days off work, we still have a waterlogged garden with puddles less than 2 meters from the house, large patches of green slime where the grass has rotted, walls that need plastering to make flat/level.

DWH sales actively concealed the fact the garden was on a 39 inch slope, they also failed to provide us with a copy of the reservation agreement.

The DWH complaint process helped initially in getting defects remedied, however things began to stall and my complaint was escalated to the regional DWH MD and then the regional Barratt MD, neither seemed interested in helping to get the remaining issues resolved, even though they had their
own inspection forms which outlined the remaining issues, both ignored my requests to discus the issue either in person for via a phone call, they also had little understanding or regard for building regulations and their companies own standards/polices/procedures, I emailed the CEO twice but received no reply.

I doubt that every David Wilson house suffers the same issues we experienced, given the amount of After-Care vans I see daily on our development I can only assume that its down to the competence of the site manager, since they are the ones who set the bar for quality and inspect each house during the build stage, that said, given the amount of other reviews here that relate to the same issue, the problem seems systemic within DWH.

DWH breached so many of the home builders consumer codes that I wonder why they are even affiliated with it.

I would take their 5 Star builders status with a pinch of salt, as for their 90% customer satisfaction rating, well you would have to be invited to take part in the customer satisfaction survey, we were not, so you can figure out how that works.

My main on going concern is that give the amount of faults/defects we could see, how many are there that we can't, what faults/defects will we discover in the future once poor workmanship manifests.

If you are buying a David Wilson home then make sure you request copies of the QC inspections and confirm that all identified snags are remedied before legal completion.

• Under 1 Year