Don't Do It

Guest's review of Fidler & Pepper Solicitors www.fidler.co.uk

“Don't Do It”

Written on: 10/01/2018

We used Fidler & Pepper after we accepted an offer on our flat via Purplebricks. There were problems after problems. This was a no chain sale of a leasehold property.

I had paid for and arranged the leasehold pack the day I accepted the offer and it would be ready in a week. I emailed F&P the details of who to contact about getting the pack when ready in a week. 4 weeks later the leaseholders were contacting me and telling me that no one had contacted them.

The buyer started contacting me saying that his solicitors had left messages but these were not being returned. I complained about this amongst other things.
Mr Slade picked up my case and things seemed to progress then he went on holiday and passed the case back to the original person.

Weeks later an issue came up with the garden being shared. This was news to me and the issue was not the fault of F&P. However by the time this came up the buyer had already said he was sick of the waiting and had emailed me saying any more hitches and he will pull out of the sale. Of course this was not going to be a quick solution. I had asked exactly what could be done and what it entailed but never seemed to get a straight answer with what needed to be done or costs. Adverse land possession was discussed and land transfer etc I looked these up and although adverse land possession looked unlikely under the circumstances land transfer was definitely a no. It looked costly and time consuming.

I spoke with lady looking after my case and she was looking into this. I told her I was not happy to do it but she said the sellers had requested it being looked into. I felt I needed to make it clear this was not under my instruction as I didn’t want to be charged for this.

Eventually I wanted an end to the chasing around as did the seller. After speaking to him he told me he would pull out of the sale. It was 12 weeks since he had made the offer and there was no sign of the nightmare ending.

As I was with Purple bricks I worried about another sale and using F&P as I had to pay more not to. When I emailed to ask how could I ensure I wot get the same bad service. I was politely told that they probably are not the right solicitors for me as they can’t do land transfer.

Really …. After I had said I am not happy to do this; clearly they didn’t listen at all. They agreed not to charge me anything and I haven’t bothered to contact them since.

One of the main issues was not their fault but the way it was dealt with and so late on in the process was poor at best. If this had been the only issue I would not have been so annoyed with the service but it was one of so many.

Although I didn’t pay any money while this went on I was paying for two houses so I have now paid an extra Three months council tax, water, gas electricity and mortgage and service charges etc

Since, I have completed the sale with another buyer and another solicitor. Oddly the main issue there was part of the lease was missing from land registry. As is happens I had the original so we found the complete document. But they never even noticed this.

In my experience avoid!

Mslade's Comment

Written on: 17/01/2018

Hi there,

We are sorry that we could not help you with the sale of your
leasehold property. As you said in your review, we were unable to provide
legal advice to transfer additional land into an existing lease. As we do
not offer this legal service, we suggested that you contact a different
Solicitor to help you with this and we also made the decision to waive any
fees that we would normally have charged. We are sorry if you felt that this
took longer than needed and we are pleased to hear that you were able to
solve this issue and have now sold your property.

Best Wishes Matt Slade - Conveyancing Partner.