SAMSUNG UE49KS8000 Smart 4k Ultra HD HDR "Mostly Great"

Drastic's review of Samsung UE49KS8000 Smart 4k Ultra HD HDR 49" LED TV

“SAMSUNG UE49KS8000 Smart 4k Ultra HD HDR "Mostly Great"”

Written on: 01/05/2017 by Drastic (16 reviews written)

SAMSUNG UE49KS8000 Smart 4k Ultra HD HDR 49" LED TV

Having owned this TV for a few weeks I now feel I can give some feedback on it.

Picture Quality : Great, no question, you’ll need to adjust the Contrast, Brightness & Back light Down some what to suite your environment. On a decent Blu-Ray the results are excellent.
I’ve views some 4K music videos on U-Tube which can only be described as stunning!

Sound Quality : If your into Hi-Fi (like me) you’ll consider the sound to be poor, but to be fair I find it the same on all flat screens. I use a amplifier & speakers to play the sound, be advised there is NO sound phono output or headphone output you can take the sound from, only a Optical output, so you’ll need a DAC box, I bought a “Neoteck 192kHz Aluminum DAC” box from e-bay for about £23, real good quality.

Broadband Setup : This is easy, you can select Cable (RJ45) or Wireless. If Cable then it will be done in a couple of seconds, then ready to go. If Wireless it will scan the local connections, you then select your one from the list then enter the code (Passphrase) then your ready to go.
Wireless works very well, but I did switch to a wired RJ45 connection, use a Cat 7 cable, it’s the best & may make a difference.

Web Use : Using the Smart options to access the likes of BBC I player & U-Tube is easy, and normally works well. However sometimes after about 20-30 minutes it starts to buffer, once into this mode it does it about every 5-10 minutes. I have a very fast Internet connection (VM) so I know it’s now my connection, also using a Cat 7 cable.
Turning the TV completely off (at the socket) for 20 seconds then back on again seems to clear the problem for another 15- 30 minutes or so.
Sometimes when on line it wont Exit or allow you to punch out with the Source button, another ON/OFF resets it.
This buffering has stopped me from sighing up to Netflix 4K content, but I understand there are only about 25 4K films available at the moment, and many of those are old.

Recording Programs : You need an external USB hard drive to do this, it has twin tuners so you can record one show while watching another, you can also record the one your watching as well if you wish. Quality is great, but there is one problem, you can’t edit the recording, so you can’t trim off the junk at the front or at the end of the recording, nor of course can you edit out the adds!
So I still use my Panosonic PVR box for recording, which can do editing.

On the whole the Samsung is a great set, plenty on inputs, & great quality, it clearly has a few quirks, but in general they can be worked a round.

Pharezking's Response to Drastic's Review

Written on: 16/05/2017

i love this

Drastic's Response to Drastic's Review

Written on: 11/07/2017

After using this TV for a few months now I can add a few points.
1. It wont record unless the set is actually ON, it wont record in stand by mode!
2. Sometimes when watching TV or U-Tube it will for no reason switch to another input?
3. Power consumption in Stand by mode is 20 watts! however I think this drops after a while to a lower value. Power used when running is very good at around 70 watts, good for a 49" inch screen.