Worst gym ever!!!

Guest's review of Bannatyne Health Clubs www.bannatyne.co.uk

“Worst gym ever!!!”

Written on: 14/06/2013

Bannatyne's (Fairfield) - took over from GL14 and went hugely down hill. I was moving away from the area but would have cancelled our joint memeberhip even if I was staying. As I was not really around I cancelled over phone which was accepted by reception staff (no mention of contract terms). When direct debtis kept coming out (3 months later) I went in to see them when I was back in the area finalising a few things and was told the cancellation was not valid and should have been in writing. I wrote a cancellation note there and then - on the back of a timetable and handed it in. I cancelled my direct debtit one month later as it had been 5 months since we lived in the area and had used the gym and at least 4 months since I oringinally gave notice. Having paid over £600 for a gym I hadn't been able to use I was certainly not going to pay for another 3 months at £120 a month. As soon as I cancelled my direct debtit they starting chasing me on virtually a daily basis for payment (by phone & letters). They claim I needed to submit a 'formal' cancellation letter for it to be valid - I have told them where to go!!! I continue to be chased weekly on the phone and in writing from the club & head office. I have explained the situation countless times to countless people. The letters have become threatening around debt collectors and legal action. STAY AWAY!!!!