Trip of a lifetime

j8t2's review of Global Vision International - www.gvi.co.uk

“Trip of a lifetime”

Written on: 13/06/2013 by j8t2 (1 review written)

2012 was not a great year for me so I needed something else. Something outside of my comfort zone. Something to change my perspective on life. My solution: climb a mountain and help those who truly need it. Those were my expectations and by the end of my 6 weeks in the majestic country of Nepal, I'm happy to report that GVI delivered - with interest! A succinct review is a good review, so let's keep this short: - The trek to Everest Base Camp (or EBC, as us seasoned trekkers call it) was more than I could have ever hoped for. Don't get me wrong; it was extremely tough and you will pay the mountain toll in sweat, but the incredible Himalayan views and immense satisfaction will reward you 100 times over. The friendships I formed in the humbling presence of Sagarmatha will last a lifetime. - The volunteering in Pokhara allowed me to experience something I've never felt before - the pride and self-fulfillment of dedicating yourself to others. I worked at Children's Paradise, a pre-school designed for standard and special needs children alike. My timetable was divided between teaching elementary subjects to a brilliant girl with spina bifida, and playing and engaging with young boys with autism. Just like the mountain, this placement tested me on many occasions but the positive impact I could see that the volunteers have on these kids' lives kept me coming back each day with gusto. I miss them all so much! In conclusion, this experience has changed my life and given me so much more than I could've asked for - it was all made possible through GVI. So what are you waiting for? : )