Terrible Customer Service

• Layout of shop

Guest's review of Wilkinson

“Terrible Customer Service”

Written on: 27/10/2017

During the weekend of the 8th October I asked my son to place certain items into his basket using his Amazon account. Pending payment, we purchased an Amazon Gift card for £50 to pay for the goods. This was bought using a credit card at the Wilkinson's Store, Perry Barr One Stop Shopping Centre Birmingham. I was reluctant to use my card online.
On Sunday 15th October we attempted to pay for goods in the basket with my son scratching off the back of the card to reveal the claim code. In going into his account and attempting to redeem it, a message returned that the claim code was invalid. We tried several times with no luck.

On Monday 16th October we returned to the store and approached the Customer Service desk where two women who were not very helpful told us that there was nothing they could do as they were only selling the cards on behalf of another party (Amazon) and that we should contact Amazon. They gave us a contact number which turned out to be incorrect. My son got then got in touch with Amazon Customer Service himself on Tuesday via telephone and gave much of the above information. He was told that the card had not been activated and that Amazon could not activate it from their end either. He was sent an email back and told to go back to the store, show the email and where they should be able to sort matters by giving a refund. They requested the store contact Amazon but this fell on deaf ears.

I left work a little earlier on a Tuesday to attend the store with my son at about 17.45. Again we approached the Customer Service desk and spoke to another lady who appeared to be either a senior sales assistant or supervisor as she was ordering staff to lock up as it was near closing. She checked the receipt and number and said that the card had been activated at the till and that she was not able to give a refund without the manager. She however contacted their Customer Services and on speaking to them, they refused to reimburse or issue us with a new card saying that it was for Amazon to sort the problem and to contact them again.

We had now entered into a 'not our fault' zone going backwards and forwards between Amazon and Wilko.

We had been to the store now three times, contacted Amazon twice by telephone and through three emails without a satisfactory conclusion. We were now becoming stressed by the ordeal.

Since we entered faithfully into a contract with Wilko/Amazon (seller) and ourselves (purchaser) either or both were in breach of the Trades Description Act and believe that since we had been sold faulty goods and were not able to use the goods as described, we were entitled to a refund at least. We were made to feel as though we were trying to cheat the system. Shame on you Wilkinsons now trading as Wilko.

We have been disappointed that matters could not have been resolved locally.

Wilko have clearly shown little regards for us as customers and we felt fobbed off by their attitude. There was no attempt to rectify the situation as they could have done.
The store was once reasonable but has rapidly deteriorated with poor lines and poor staff attitudes.

• Wilko Perry Barr Birmingham