Poor, or non-existent, knowledge of computer systems

• Quality of service

• Layout of shop

ryanevs11's review of PC World

“Poor, or non-existent, knowledge of computer systems”

Written on: 20/04/2013 by ryanevs11 (1 review written)

I entered the PC World store seeking for a solution to a possibly clogged or broken laptop fan, resulting in the laptop overheating and shutting down. Soon after approaching the 'Knowhow' desk, I was told that I would have to pay £50 just to receive a problem diagnosis and that they do not offer repairs to my Compaq Presario, which I bought from them six years ago. I then asked for alternatives to solve the problem, such as external fans. However, the sales assistant showed me the new Windows 8 computers. He then went on to explain the features of Windows 8 and that the previous versions of Microsoft Office would not work on the new Operating System, I had already successfully installed Microsoft Office on the Windows 8 developer preview. I then explained that I did not want the extra software as I would install Ubuntu over the Windows partition. The sales assistant then 'explained' to me that Linux was an obsolete operating system and that I would not be able to find it anywhere, obviously unaware that the world, quite literally, runs on Linux and that the release of Ubuntu 13.04 was in just 5 days. I got the impression that myself, a 16 year old, knew more about computers than an employee of one of Britain's largest computer retailers. Due to the sales assistant's lack of knowledge and his insisting of unnecessary software, I will not be returning to PC World and would not recommend the store to anyone.

• Llanelli Store, Wales, UK