Worst car hire company - insurance issue

MattTu's review of GoldCar Rental - www.goldcar.es

“Worst car hire company - insurance issue”

Written on: 03/11/2017 by MattTu (1 review written)

The employee continually pushed the Goldcar insurance (£200 for the insurance, when the car hire was only £40!) despite me insisting that I had Excess Waiver insurance. He threatened that I will have to pay 1400 euros if anything happens to the car and that the website that I bought the DEW from (holiday autos/AXA) were lying, and that I would not be able to claim any money back. Luckily, I found the email and terms that confirmed I was covered, and said that I was happy for the 1400euro deposit to be held on my card - his reply " you won't be". This is simply unacceptable and disgraceful behaviour, and was really stressful. This was not an isolated or "lone' workers attitude, I could hear the other employees giving the same spiel to other customers along the desk. I will never use Goldcar again (no matter how much cheaper than their competitors).

Click here for great deals on Expedia

By Goldcarrental

Written on: 14/11/2017

Hi,

Thanks for your comment.

We're trying to improve our services and your opinion is essential to do so.

On the issue you described, you have to know that our policy contemplates the requirement to leave a deposit in order to pick the car and start using our services. However, we always offer additional cover (Super Relax Cover), because it already includes an excess and it exempts you of this requirement. If customers have third party coverage, they can request a refund from them in case of damages, but our additional coverage is always offered as an alternative to blocking a deposit on a credit card.

We understand that you booked a third party's coverage from home.

However, I'd like to explain you how our coverage policy works. We always make the customer choose from two different options: you can purchase our additional coverage or you can leave a deposit in which you'll be liable of any damage made to the car, as our agent explained you at the counter. However, as you did not ask expressly to block a deposit on your cc, we had no option but to charge you our additional coverage.

We are aware that third parties offer customers their own coverage, as in your case, but it should be explained that this coverage is only applied when a charge is debited from the deposit left by the customer to the rent-a-car company - this is how the third party's coverage policy works. As you didn’t leave deposit you’ll have to contact with your broker in order to ask them for a refund of this coverage you ended not using, because we're not aware of the conditions of the third party's coverage refund.
Please note that our additional coverage is a non-refundable service, as you did accept it and consumed it already, we cannot do any refunds now.

I hope this information helped you clear your concerns.

Kind regards.