SHAMELESS HIRE COMPANY

qyMonaghan149's review of National Motorhomes - www.nationalmotorhomes.co.uk

“SHAMELESS HIRE COMPANY”

Written on: 08/02/2018 by qyMonaghan149 (1 review written)

Unbeatable Hire Ltd AKA National Motorhomes
I rented a motor caravan from Unbeatable Hire Ltd only after checking that Collision Damage Waiver (CDW) would cover any damage claims as there were a worrying amount of complaints against the company about disputable extra charges on completing a hire.
I was told in writing, “Our insurance excess is £1000.00 (refundable), this can be reduced to nil, per insurable incident, if you qualify for insurance excess waiver” I therefor paid £300 extra for two weeks hire with CDW.
I hired a small motorhome for a Scottish island hopping tour for my wife and myself . On collecting the ‘van, I was given a 6 bed ‘van!! This enormous ‘van, quite unsuitable for the narrow one way lanes on the islands, also pushed me into the plus 6.0 metre ferry rates on the 6 ferries I had pre-booked.
On day one, the toilet/ shower door lock malfunctioned. On day two using a stone off the beach and scissors, I managed to break open the door hinges and do a temporary refix. Other things went wrong but my big complaint was that the CDW didn’t work!!
On my last day I had a no fault accident when another ‘van broke my door mirror, also breaking my driver’s window.
Having immediately completed all the necessary paperwork, I felt grateful for the CDW I had paid for. Two months later with no warning I had £792 charged to my Debit Card. Enraged, I commenced legal correspondence against the registered Managing Director, Mr A Hughes, on the grounds of my CDW but was never to receive signed correspondence from him.
Following months of legal challenges, I had to accept advice that it would cost more than £792 to recover my illegal deduction.
The twist in this tale? Three pages deep in the Terms and Conditions of the Hire Agreement, following the ninth sub clause relating to CDW, is a line saying even if you have CDW, no payment for … ‘Any damage caused to the front cab section’. (Really!!)
This buried, almost hidden clause, defies any decency in commercial practice and, in my opinion, would not be acceptable under the Unfair Terms and Conditions governed by the Consumer Rights Act 2015.
Be warned if you deal with this company.