Money grabbing for the sake of it. NIL customer care

Thomson Airways
2.4
  • Flight on time?

• Customer service

• Comfort on flight

• Quality of Entertainment

• Quality of food

simonbedwell's review of Thomson Airways

“Money grabbing for the sake of it. NIL customer care”

written by simonbedwell on 09/09/2014

Is it reasonable to expect that if you pay many many thousands of pounds to take your family for a special occasion to Orlando you would assume that Thomson would help you have great time right from the outset?

We are a group of six adults, in three pairs, due to travel on saturday. When you buy a holiday you are asked whether you want to pay extra to ensure that you can sit together. However, for me that equates to an extra £180. I assumed that if we didn't take the option at least the airline would try to sit us in pairs, as I never expected to be six together. On flights with other airlines it has never been an issue. Always together on long haul.

The other day I looked at our allocation, and to my disgust we had all been split up. I went to Thomson because many of the unallocated seats were in better combination positions that we had allocated. No joy from Thomson unless I was willing to pay for change of seats, even if no one had been allocated to them. They advised me to phone Thomson airways which I did. Again absolute stone wall response. I was told that because a computer had made the allocations that was final. I couldn't change to spare seats without paying, even though no one had been allocated to them.

I was told that buying a flight only entitled me a seat on the plane. Not a seat with a fellow passenger. So I asked, on a long haul flight where I have three pairs of passengers nothing can be done to change our seating arrangements to spare seats without me paying. No, they replied.

In one swoop it confirms that because computer says no Thomsons claim that where possible they will seat passengers from the same group together is absolute rubbish. It is ALL about money grabbing. It is a disgrace to think that I buy a holiday to be ambushed by a demand for extras. Their claim that allocations cannot be changed is absolute rubbish. They have ruined what was a holiday too celebrate a number of personal things, 50th birthday, 21st birthday, retirement, 25 year wedding anniversary, children moving out into their own homes. And instead of sitting with partners we are with some stranger all because 1. a computer is boss, and 2. Thomson want to bleed us dry.

I can understand it if I was popping across the channel, but an 8 hour long haul. It makes a complete mockery of having a system where you can just buy a holiday with an expectation that you will sit next to your partner.

So Thomsons, I will be posting this true comment on your complete unethical trick of getting extra money out of passengers. Of course if someone with any sense has the decency to look at the situation and change it then I will be positive. This holiday has cost we well over 10K in all, and it has started with something that will ruin the whole experience, and as for the flight back we are all sat singularly so far apart we might as well be on separate aircraft. So thanks very much for you care and understanding.

This is the only course I have left to make someone see sense and warn other poor unsuspecting customers the pitfalls of using Thomson as their travel agent and airway carrier.

Simon Bedwell Flying Sat 13/9 to Orlando from Gatwick. Group of six.