Target Shooter Deluxe!

Theo98's review of Beeman P17

“Target Shooter Deluxe!”

Written on: 09/09/2017 by Theo98 (1 review written)

After reading many reviews, decided to try the Beeman P17. Dang, this is a FUN pistol! Balance, grip and size is amazing (over piston charging) and the trigger is out-of-the-box sweet (short travel-clean 2.5# break). Due to the over-lever pneumatic power-plant, there's No recoil or break in and I was hitting tight groupings as soon as I got the FO sights set (within first 20 shots). The pistol grip feels great and fits my large hands perfectly. With RWS Hobby 7.0g WC's shooting at 415 fps, got one grouping of .375" at my indoor workshop 10yd range, but still need plenty of practice to be more consistent. After the 1st 150 rounds, installed a low profile RR red dot reflex scope. I'm now more consistent with 1\2" groups. The P17 doesn't hit as hard as some break barrels, but it's proving to be a great target plinker!

Due to the non-break barrel cocking, took me a few rounds to get comfortable with the top receiver swing \ breech loading \ final compression closure, but all that is easily 2nd nature now. Even with the scope installed, the effort to close isn't an issue for me, just use my fingers on the receiver outside rails instead of my palm on the back dovetail. As I always set the safety on my break barrel pistols before cocking, I appreciate the "auto safety engagement" upon opening of the P17 top receiver. I find the shot report indoors a little "loud" (83db), but not annoyingly so and still choose to wear hearing protection.

Got another 350+ RWS Hobby 7.0g WC's through the P17 with the R.Dot Reflex scope installed. Velocity has settled out to 410fps averages (411 high, 409 low) and with a little trigger TLC (lubed sears, lightly stretched trigger coil spring, reduced pre-travel), pull is now a smooth and clean breaking 1# surprise. When I don't pull a shot with the P17, I can now consistently achieve under 1\4" 5-shot hand-held groupings and have a same hole .100 CTC 4-shot group as my best so far!

Overall, the ergonomics of the P17 (lighter, smaller, conventional pistol style, good trigger, good FO Sights) and the lower cost makes this Beeman pistol one sweet shooter and a great deal for air gunning Fun! For ultimate accuracy, the Beeman P17 will be my primary 10yd bulls eye precision tool and a Great 10yd shooter!!