Fuji FinePix S9500 Reviews

• Battery Life

Fuji FinePix S9500 - Ask a question now

Media Gallery for Fuji FinePix S9500

Fuji FinePix S9500

“I've been learning my photography skills with this...”

Written on: 17/12/2010 by Lucicerious (3 reviews written)

I've been learning my photography skills with this camera fr the past 4 years and have slowly learnt (with aid from the user manual as well) how to truly use this camera. The diversity it offers is really good with choice of CFC (Compact Flash Cards) or SD Cards, along with the zoom options ranging with Macro and Super Macro right up to super telephoto which is obtained with the 10.4x zoom an x2 digital. The image quality is very good considering the range, but now compared to modern cameras… Read Full Review

Fuji FinePix S9500

“Fuji FinePix S9500A is a good camera, as an...”

Written on: 21/12/2008 by poporina (1 review written)

Fuji FinePix S9500A is a good camera, as an alternative for those who do not like to carry heavy equipment or changing lenses, because the superzoom lens will covers almost all you need… Read Full Review

Fuji FinePix S9500

“Overal I have no major complaints with the Fuji...”

Written on: 16/03/2008

Overal I have no major complaints with the Fuji FinePix S9500, it is a good entry level which allows you to hone and practice using dslr . I have used mine for over a year , and with over 6000 images taken the camera has yet to let me down… Read Full Review

Fuji FinePix S9500

“Basically i wouldn't take one in a lucky bag. My...”

Written on: 19/02/2008 by wandering pict (1 review written)

Basically i wouldn't take one in a lucky bag. My s9500, which incidentally was not secondhand but a demonstrator from a leading retailer, is without doubt the worst piece of kit i have ever had the misfortune to waste money on… Read Full Review

Posers's Response to wandering pict's Review

Written on: 22/04/2011

I found this review not helpful because... I suspect that the reviewer has either bought a 'rogue' camera or has an axe to grind. I have owned my Fuji 9500 from new when it first came out in about 2005, and I have found it to be a reliable and easy to use camera and more than capable of giving excellent results. I take photos for a living, and although for my work I primaruly use a couple of Nikon DSLR's or occaisionally a Olympus DSLR, I usually keep the 9500 in the back of the car as an extra back up, and on more than one occaision it has saved my bacon. It is also an ideal camera to take on holidays or days out, the vast zoom range and quality sensor give excellent results without the need to carry around extra lenses.

Fuji FinePix S9500

“The Fuji Finepix S9500 camera takes a bit of getting...”

Written on: 21/02/2007 by darksidefloyd (2 reviews written)

The Fuji Finepix S9500 camera takes a bit of getting used to but thats the fun of buying a new camera. Also for best results use a tripod. It's a wonderful camera… Read Full Review

Fuji FinePix S9500

“I can't add anything more technical then other users...”

Written on: 20/02/2007 by Dogmad (31 reviews written)

I can't add anything more technical then other users have.

I upgraded to this Fuji Finepix S9500 from a Nikon 7600, a camera I was glad to see the back of - the S9500 in comparison is a much more complicated camera and not one you can pick up and take good shots from the off, some understanding of shutter speeds and apertures is needed to use the camera to its best potential.

I've had great fun with this camera over the past 8 months, I've also sold a lot of pictures to guests passing through… Read Full Review

Fuji FinePix S9500

“The Fuji Finepix S9500 Zoom is a good camera for...”

Written on: 20/02/2007 by humperdink21 (3 reviews written)

The Fuji Finepix S9500 Zoom is a good camera for someone moving from a compact digital camera who wants something a bit more advanced… Read Full Review

Fuji FinePix S9500

“The Fuji Finepix S9500 is a great all round camera...”

Written on: 06/02/2007 by deanbed (2 reviews written)

The Fuji Finepix S9500 is a great all round camera that fills the gap between compact and SLR it does most things well, despite the command dial problem which means losing it for 4 weeks which comes back with an improved part I think its a great camera, Picture quality is what the main thing is here and as I have won a few photographic competitions with this camera and had some pictures put in a national photography magazine I think that says it all about the images it produces… Read Full Review

252776_Anonymous101's Response to deanbed's Review

Written on: 06/02/2007

I don't have this model, but I have been very impressed with my FujiFinepix. Would have no problem with upgrading to this particular model, Great review!

Deanbed's Response to deanbed's Review

Written on: 06/02/2007

Glad you liked the review. I try to be honest, but the results I get from the Fiji Finepix S9500 digital camera are quite amazing.
<br/>
<br/>For a look at some of the pictures I have taken with this camera follow this link.
<br/>www.fotothing.com/deanbed/photo/start=42

Fuji FinePix S9500

“I have owned my Fuji Finepix S9500 since March 2006. ...”

Written on: 02/09/2006 by Speckled Wood (3 reviews written)

I have owned my Fuji Finepix S9500 since March 2006. I have mixed feelings about this camera. When it works well it works very well but its performance is erratic. distance shots are almost impossible if there is any haze is present.
I have managed some good macro shots but again performance is erratic, the flip up viewing screen is a good idea but it is difficult to use in normal lighting conditions.
Night time long exposure shots are very good and pointing it at the sky and taking 30 second… Read Full Review

Tmobyrne's Response to Speckled Wood's Review

Written on: 14/02/2007

I have just bought another S7000 after the previous one was stolen, I had bought a S9500 to replace the stolen S7000 but in my opinion it has proved to be useless to me mainly because of its very soft images which I have had to sharpen in Photoshop every time.
<br/>
<br/>Fuji have not got the 9500 right, they are trying to squeeze too many megapixels from the same size ccd as the S7000. I do like the zoom mechanism on the 9500 and the very short lag time but overall I have decided to donate the 9500 to the bin!
<br/>Terence

Dogmad's Response to Speckled Wood's Review

Written on: 30/09/2007

There isn't a digital camera made that can produce sharp images straight from the camera, that's a fact, even the most expensive digital SLR's will need some degree of sharpening.
<br/>
<br/>If you search around the digital photography forums you will see posts from people asking how to sharpen their pictures in Photoshop.
<br/>
<br/>For the record I have in camera sharpening turned off and apply an Unsharp Mask in PS of 100%, Radius 3.0 pixels and threshold of 0.
<br/>
<br/>That generally does the trick, adjust the percentage up or down to suit each individual image.

Fuji FinePix S9500

“You can buy a Fuji FinePix S9500 digital camera from...”

Written on: 26/07/2006 by battram (3 reviews written)

You can buy a Fuji FinePix S9500 digital camera from many places on the internet. The cheapest I found was from Savastore at £312.13 including P&P.
Having had issues with Savastore, I opted for Ebuyer.com at £312.47 with free delivery. It is worth the extra 34p for peace of mind when dealing with a known and trusted company.

In the box:

4 x AA Alkaline batteries (lasted less than 1 day)
16 Mb XD picture card (holds only 3 photos in 9Mb Fine mode)
Neck strap with FinePix logo
Lens cap with… Read Full Review

Ebrooks's Response to battram's Review

Written on: 27/07/2006

Re: the reviewer&#039;s comment:
<br/>
<br/>"It takes 4 AA batteries. I recommend getting a set or two of 2500mAh rechargeable, because the supplied Alkaline batteries lasted less than a day"
<br/>
<br/>I wonder whether the reviewer is aware of the specially powerful/long lasting batteries designed especially for digital cameras?
<br/>
<br/>It sounds like he is using normal alkalines.
<br/>
<br/>I&#039;ve used the rechargeable and the hot digital ones and I think I have gotten more out of the latter. And I like to avoid the added complication of maintaining the battery charger, managing the charging, etc.
<br/>
<br/>Reading between the lines a bit, I notice the reviewer is looking to cut corners wherever possible on price. I doubt he popped for the more expensive hot digital batteries even if he was aware of them.

Bertie's Response to battram's Review

Written on: 27/07/2006

battram........I think you did a grand job of writing your own Instruction Book.
<br/>
<br/>BTW, does ANY of the prosumer cams of this type NOT have purple fringing? Some reviewers make quite an issue of it but I think for 99% of everyday photography it is unimportant and in smallish prints will never be seen.

Fuji FinePix S9500

“Anticipating my SLR move to digital, I tried out...”

Written on: 24/02/2006 by davidinnotts (2 reviews written)

Anticipating my SLR move to digital, I tried out several models and read the reviews in magazines and online. Everything left me dissatisfied. Either cameras were at silly prices, making the total cost of ownership over 5 years far more than sticking to film and scanning prints and negs, or resolution was too low, so that I couldn't get decent enlargements. All except the priciest cameras had one or more real drawbacks too. Typically they felt 'wrong' to handle, or used poor cards, or were slow… Read Full Review

Deanbed's Response to davidinnotts's Review

Written on: 08/02/2007

I noticed you said you got 400+ shots from a 1Gb memory card. At the highest fine setting I only get about 204 per 1Gb.
<br/>
<br/>I was wondering, perhaps you haven't got it set to its high finest setting; hence, giving you 410 shots per Gb, so you maybe can get even more out of this camera.

Davidinnotts's Response to davidinnotts's Review

Written on: 01/10/2007

Thanks, Dogmad.
<br/>
<br/>The better DSLRs DO give better quality, for two reasons: the capture device and processing might work better (they ought to at the price!) and/or the lens is better, giving a sharper image, less flare, etc.
<br/>
<br/>Most DSLRs have better lenses than the Finepix; all the better Finepix seem to use the same, good-quality lens. But the pricey lenses from Canon, Nikon, etc. are visibly superior. Whether the cheap bundled lenses with the likes of the EOS400 are enough better to make a lot of difference is another matter, though.
<br/>
<br/>The Finepix automatic picture enhancement DOES have an effect on quality in more extreme conditions such a back lighting and poor light, though it isn't a lot. Quality goes down on all capture units in these conditions, and I think the question for each person is how tolerant you are towards the different kinds of degradation. For me, high-compression JPEG blockiness is the worst and hardest to correct digitally and grain on negatives (ie, non-digital pictures) is the kindest and easiest to handle.
<br/>
<br/>I did say in a previous review of the EOS30 that I'd stick to that camera for best work, with its wonderful eye-guided focussing, until an affordable digital replacement came along. I haven't seen one yet, and I'm still looking! I really want an EOS30D+ with 20MP full-frame collector, eye-control and the usual goodies available now, at about £500 for the body. Then I can get full use from the pile of Canon lenses I have waiting! No-one's made it yet, though.

Dogmad's Response to davidinnotts's Review

Written on: 30/09/2007

Good well written review, I agree with what you say about there being hardly any discernible difference between the S9500 and some dSLR's.
<br/>
<br/>I think dSLR owners would like us to think that their equipment is much better because it costs so much more.

Deanbed's Response to davidinnotts's Review

Written on: 11/02/2007

Thanks for that. I have never tried any other setting. I have just purchased a 4Gb faster card to get more shots and start shooting more RAW. I agree that there's not much extra on the 9600. It's meant to be sharper, but you nearly always sharpen images later, even on the best digital SLR.
<br/>Thanks
<br/>Dean

Davidinnotts's Response to davidinnotts's Review

Written on: 09/02/2007

Hi, deanbed.
<br/>
<br/>I use the next-to-best (N) 9MP setting, which I find in Photoshop to be nearly indistinguishable from either the best (F) or the RAW mode. This gives me 457 shots per clean 1Gb CF card, according to the counter. In practice, that's just about right - there may be a few more or less, depending on the JPEG compression for each shot. The (F) mode gives about 225 shots and the RAW mode (no compression) that's so hard to handle and download, exactly 55. Now that 1Gb cards are under a tenner, RAW might just be OK, but, to be honest, the (N) quality is better than I need anyway.
<br/>
<br/>I DID find that in poor light the (F) setting gave a small improvement in noise and visible JPEG artefact's, but not a lot. That's the small trade-off for getting twice the compression, trice the shots. I'm well pleased!
<br/>
<br/>I noticed that Fujifilm have just introduced the 9600 replacement, and it's not much different. So a second-hand or much reduced 9500 may be a better buy than the new one (see www.fujifilm.co.uk/digital/cameras/s9600/).

Fuji FinePix S9500

“Ever since I got the Fuji Finepix S9500 Zoom camera I...”

Written on: 03/10/2005 by DemonTraitor (1 review written)

Ever since I got the Fuji Finepix S9500 Zoom camera I take it everywhere with me. It doubles as a great camcorder too, so lightens the load on most trips.

What made me choose this camera was the manual twist barrel 10.7x optical zoom. I never liked the push button zooms you get on most cameras as these take too long to compose a shot - and they are not very precise either.

The S9500 allows you to compose a shot so fast you get the shot you are after. Only yesterday I was out with the camera… Read Full Review

March3Uk's Response to 212359_DemonTraitor's Review

Written on: 23/01/2007

I agree with this review in every respect. The Fuji Finepix 9500 is a very good digital camera. The software is not so bad for general use, but the Raw conversion is a waste of time. Instead, download the free program S7Raw at www.photo-freeware.net/s7raw.php. It turns the 9500 into a much more versatile tool.

Dogmad's Response to 212359_DemonTraitor's Review

Written on: 30/09/2007

RAW does let this camera down, I would like to use RAW more but the write time of 13 seconds plus to the card is just too long for me to wait, I always worry about missing that once in the life time shot because the camera isn't ready.