Old Royal Oak (Hungry Horse), Rugby Reviews

• Quality of food

Old Royal Oak (Hungry Horse), Rugby - Ask a question now

“Not Evan average”

Written on: 29/06/2014

Awful food.Had run out of peas of all things and Roast Beef.When it came to dessert,they had also ran out of Vanilla ice cream.This being a Sunday one of the busiest days,they should have catered for this.When I asked a waitress why they had allowed this to happen,her rudeness was disgusting.Overall,very very poor.I have worked in this industry for many years and have never come across any restaurant that ran out of peas,a staple on any menu.The alternative offered was either beans or… Read Full Review

“I have eaten at this pub many times and have always...”

Written on: 28/12/2009 by Elle47 (1 review written)

I have eaten at this pub many times and have always found it to be lovely food and friendly,helpful staff.My only critcism is that its always quite cold in there if theres not too many people in.
If you want good food at a reasonable price in a beautiful location, especially in the summer,this pub is ideal.I no longer live in Rugby and happily travel 15 miles to eat here… Read Full Review

“My wife and I just held my mother's 60th Birthday at...”

Written on: 27/07/2009

My wife and I just held my mother's 60th Birthday at the Old Royal Oak (Hungry Horse) and had a superb evening there. For no charge they reserved the conservatory area of the pub/restaurant for us. The staff were very helpful offering to keep the birthday cake in their chiller and allowing us to decorate the room. The food was great with large portions all around. We made a bit of a mess with party popper and streamers and although we volunteered to clear up the staff very kindly told us that… Read Full Review

“Would NEVER visit a Hungry Horse again Food poor -...”

Written on: 27/02/2008 by margaretmerridale (1 review written)

Would NEVER visit a Hungry Horse again Food poor - badly cooked (or uncooked) cold etc. 8 of us in party and all food arrived at different times. First people had finished before last meals arrived. Had to send back 2 meals as they were cold and undercooked… Read Full Review

“We visited the Hungry Horse in Rugby, also known as...”

Written on: 06/02/2006 by Blanchardfamily2001 (31 reviews written)

We visited the Hungry Horse in Rugby, also known as the Old Royal Oak. The pub is situated alongside the Oxford Canal. Access is easy and the car park is large. On entering you pass the toilets and through the smoking area and bar to the stairs for the childrens play area.

The indoor childrens play area is for the under 8's. It is down a flight of stairs from the main restaurant and is at canal level, there is an emergency exit onto the canal bank. The play area does not have any… Read Full Review

Blanchardfamily2001's Response to Blanchardfamily2001's Review

Written on: 09/10/2006

We revisited this restaurant on Saturday 7 October. You still walk through the smokey bar area to get to the restaurant.
<br/>
<br/>Most of the veggie menu was not available (you like veggie burgers?). Despite that several meals came on the large 17" plates, with a burger here, chips there and salad over there! Smaller plates would have been sufficient.
<br/>
<br/>Our party was well pleased with the food (except my veggie wife and sister-in-law). Puddings were okay, not great - the sticky apple crumble turned out to be apple crumble with toffee sauce drizzled over the top.
<br/>
<br/>Being a driver, I chose orange juice and lemonade, this was not mixed.
<br/>
<br/>The best bit of the meal was when we watched a member of staff tidy away another table - she used a dirty damp dish cloth and knocked food crumbs on to the floor.